Easter Egger chicks

hollymamma

In the Brooder
Mar 23, 2021
I have been trying to figure out if we have hens or roos, but I'm thinking it is too early to tell on 2-3 week old Easter Eggers chicks. It seems from what I've read that EEs are such a "Heinz 57" mix that you can't use the wing and tail feather methods. What about the size of the legs and feet? I can't own roos in my county and am hoping I'm worrying over nothing and have 3 hens instead of 1 hen and 2 roos.

The chick with the yellow is older for sure. I think she is a hen...and, was almost twice the size of the other two when I purchased them at my local feed store...already had a couple wing feathers coming in. Purchased March 14.

These are not straight run, but the owner told me it still doesn't guarantee no roos. Ugh. Thanks for any thoughts...

Attachments

• chics5.jpg
    chics5.jpg
    540.1 KB · Views: 42
  • chics4.jpg
    chics4.jpg
    591.2 KB · Views: 21
  • chics3.jpg
    chics3.jpg
    940.5 KB · Views: 19
  • chics2.jpg
    chics2.jpg
    787.4 KB · Views: 21
  • chics1.jpg
    chics1.jpg
    547 KB · Views: 21
I agree with all pullets, but EEs and chicks in general are pretty tricky to tell! I’ve seen EEs that you would swear are hens and then they start crowing! 😂 Wings look body length and tail feathers coming in is my generalization for pullets. Cockerels usually have shorter stubby wing feathers and no tail feathers coming in at first. But it’s just a broad generalization to tell. Hope it’s all pullets!!!!

The younger they are, the harder they are to sex by just a photograph.
:oldFYI, a female chicken isn't considered a hen until it becomes 1 year old. It is called a pullet. The same goes for a male. He is called a cockerel until the ripe age of 1 year. Then he would be considered a rooster.:hugs

The younger they are, the harder they are to sex by just a photograph.
:oldFYI, a female chicken isn't considered a hen until it becomes 1 year old. It is called a pullet. The same goes for a male. He is called a cockerel until the ripe age of 1 year. Then he would be considered a rooster.:hugs
Yes, I'm aware of the correct words/distinctions. I was thinking "I hope they all grow into hens and not roosters" when I was typing my post. :)

Back
Top Bottom