Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

No, they would have just a hint of black on the wing tips.
I said chick down color ,the "hint" of black you speak of is not due to a Special Wheaten gene Ameraucana have, its the same Plane Old wheaten gene found on just about any other wheaten breed out there, nothing special about them, the hint of black you see is just the tips of the feather coming out, most day old chicks wont have this hint

Last edited:
The web/toe punches refer to the breeding pen NOT the color.

I remember that now that you mention it, but Paul Smith told me via email that the two lavenders he sent me had a slash
between the first and second toe on the right foot. Toe is my word, I don't remember if he said toe or not.

I have pretty much figured out the colors...still a little confusion about one that is a very deep yellow as to whether he might be a blue wheaten, wheaten,
or a splash, but I figure in a couple of weeks, I will know for sure. I ordered 3 splash and two blue wheaten and Paul said it was difficult two distinguish wheaten and
blue wheaten at a day old. Additionally, I have three black and five blue. Next question will be how many roos and pullets.

They are doing great and I am very excited to have them.

My P.Smith chicks are a week old. If I go by who get's a tail first, I have 9 pullets and 6 roos.

Above is the boy pile. The yellow one is questionable, but it was not as pronounced as my girl pile.

This is the pile I called the girls group, but maybe it is just the chicks that got their tails first.

I like these odds as there are 6 in the no tail and 9 in the tail first pile. I'm a little unhappy that there are 3 out of my 5 blues with no tails and the prettiest lavender. But who knows what they will be in 2-3 months.

Dianne

I am so happy you posted this. I have one week old Wheaten, Black, Lavendar and White Ameraucana's. Also a variety of other week old chick breeds. I just noticed today the tails on my wheatens and others. By checking their wings on hatch day, and days two and three, I was guessing I had 5 out of 5 girls with the wheatens and very good odds on the others too, but being a newbie at it, I might be not reading them correctly. I recorded what sex I thought each one was.

I thought the tails developing was interesting and noticed it was on my girls, then came inside, sat down and the first thing I read was your post on this. I haven't read in any book or website about tail feathers indicating girls, so I was excited to get another new trick up my sleeve. The tails correlate to all the ones I thought were girls, and none of the boys. Thank you for that great info.

Divanna.....I am not sure you can take my method to the bank...... I either read this on this thread, or possibly on the EE Sexing link. I am hoping it has some merit for my Ameraucanas. Guess we will know soon enough.

Dianne

I have 14 BBS Ameraucana eggs packed and ready to ship. $40 shipped. Had a change of plans. Customer wanted chicks instead.. Need to ship today or tomorrow at the latest. PM me if interested.

Divanna.....I am not sure you can take my method to the bank...... I either read this on this thread, or possibly on the EE Sexing link. I am hoping it has some merit for my Ameraucanas. Guess we will know soon enough.

Dianne

I am on my 4th hatching season with Ameraucanas. I have B/b/s and the tail coming in first seems to be more reliable then even the wing feathers. I am not saying that is 100%. It is darn close. If I have any questionable ones, take the lid off your brooder. The boys are the ones that usually jump up on the side. They are usually friendlier too then the pullets.

My babies are four weeks old, so I'm back with a couple pics to see what you guys think for their gender.

The two black ones have big tails that stick up. The blue one has a tail that kinda goes straight out.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom