Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Pics

hcammack

Crowing
12 Years
Oct 5, 2007
Vermont
I was hoping to replicate something like the Marans thread for Ameraucanas. Not EE's but pure Ameraucana only please! Just hope we can talk about our eggs, breeding, showing, and post pictures of your beautiful birds.

Thanks,
Henry

Well, last week, I posted about not evaluating your birds too early. This weekend's show emphasized that...for me, at least. I took a small group of birds to a double show in Edgefield, SC this past weekend - three black cockerels, and one black hen. We came home with this:

Grand Champion CH LF CH AOSB BB BV Black Cockerel
This is the same boy I nearly culled at 6 months, but decided to wait and see...sooo glad I did!

color ad M K  Gilbert.jpg

Last edited:
eggs5.jpg

Just so thrilled with this blue egg color! It is my first egg from one of my Ameraucana pullets! The entire group was from my girls today....even my old BO got into the fun! The white are from my Polish and the green from my OE. I don't know if the blue egg belongs to the Buff or the Blue. Their pics are in my post directly above this one.

My big blue roo Horatio, hatched from eggs from the Gardners-
IMG_4526.jpg

IMG_4571.jpg

My black roo, Hamlet, hatched from eggs from the Gardners-
IMG_4608.jpg

IMG_4611.jpg

My black hen Beatrice, hatched in May from Cree Farms eggs-
IMG_4536.jpg

I don't have a really good picture of my blue hen or of the three BBS babies. They are all too zippy to get a good picture!

Your blacks look nice, hcammack! Don't you just love the irridescence of the feathers? They look like walking stained glass windows!
smile.png

I just would prefer it that a discussion thread be about the birds that are supposed to be discussed. I happen to be very particular about Ameraucanas in general.

I understand your frustration. I see that a lot and it can, seemingly, distract from the point of this thread.

However, having said that, I also know how frustrating it is to buy what you think are Ameraucanas, only to learn - here and other places - that what you've paid hard-earned bucks for is not what you thought, hoped, prayed, they would be.

I've been there and I know many of the folks that have been breeding Ameraucanas for years, have been there, too. So, where do you go when you want to figure out what you've got? To a site like this, and to a thread like this, where, hopefully, someone will give you the rundown on what you've actually got. It's just part of what this thread, and so many sites on Facebook, are here for.

There are quite a few very experienced breeders here, most of whom are ready and willing to express their opinion on what you have - mostly without flames. :) And there are a lot of new folks coming into this breed that want to learn, study, and be mentored by those experienced breeders. Let's face it - while a picture may be worth a thousand words, not even a thousand words can fully described what you've got in your coops like a picture can.

So, let the pics be posted and let the education continue. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
The 2017 Ameraucana National Meet is history. We had a great weekend hosted by the Michigan Poultry Fanciers at their Fowl Fest. Over 200 Ameraucanas were entered by 20 exhibitors and over $2,000 in prize $ was up for grabs!
Jensen Pierson won Champion Overall Ameraucana with an outstanding large fowl (LF) black cockerel and Kraig Shaffer took Reserve Champion Ameraucana with a very nice LF white cock. Both Birds went on to respectfully take Champion and Reserve Champion AOSB.

Attachments

• Pierson Ch AOSB.jpg
    Pierson Ch AOSB.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 19

Back
Top Bottom