Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

I so want silvers!:drool :drool :drool

But I already have BBS, Lavenders, working on Blue Wheatens, and maybe whites.  Think I need to wait a while.

Be prepared for photo overload in a few days. I ordered them from fowl stuff. These will be my first ameraucanas and the first chicks I've ever had shipped.. I've had my heart set on silver ams for several years. I've only had EEs (silver of course!) up until now. Did I mention how excited I am? Lol!

Same here... I love the silver hens but it will be a year or so before I add them to my flock. I can't wait to see your pics!

Nothing wrong with Easter Eggers, they just are not Ameraucanas. She is more likely than not to lay a light green or aqua egg, and will probably look much like this hen when she grows up, if a she. Here are two of mine side by side: These are both EEs from my flock.
Lovely hens. Put feathers on the last girl's legs and she would look like a Salmon Faverolles.

Araucanas lay blue eggs also. But they are rumpless

Ok thank you I guess I'll have to wait a couple weeks to see for sure but I think I'll have to send pictures to get other opinions Bc I don't think I will be able to tell the difference
1f602.png
1f425.png

Ok thank you I guess I'll have to wait a couple weeks to see for sure but I think I'll have to send pictures to get other opinions Bc I don't think I will be able to tell the difference
1f602.png
1f425.png
Aruacanas have no tails and have tufts coming out of their ear. They're easy to spot.
For acceptable color varieties of the Ameraucana check out Ameraucana.org or AmeraucanaAlliance.org and look at their galleries.

Aruacanas have no tails and have tufts coming out of their ear. They're easy to spot.
For acceptable color varieties of the Ameraucana check out Ameraucana.org or AmeraucanaAlliance.org and look at their galleries.
Araucanas can have tails and no tufts too! I have one. Never say never!
wink.png

Last edited:
Doesn't the SOP for Araucanas state that they can't have a tail and require ear tufts? So wouldn't one with a tail or one that doesn't have tufts be considered an Easter Egger?
Similar to if an Ameraucana doesn't have muffs and beard, it's disqualified and considered an Easter Egger.

Similar to if an Ameraucana doesn't have muffs and beard, it's disqualified and considered an Easter Egger.
No, araucanas come in many combinations, tailed, tufted, no tufts, no tails. English Araucanas have tails. They would not be considered EE.

If an Ameraucana is just a poor specimen with no muffs or beard it is still an Ameraucana albeit a poor one.

Last edited:
Ameraucanas have very strict color varieties. Anything that lays a pretty egg, but doesn't match up to one of those colors is considered an Easter Egger.

Even mixing a buff ameraucana with a blue ameraucana, will produce an Easter Egger.

Well said - I had a friend who insisted she had Ameraucanas but the APA parents were of two different color varieties and she argued she had true "Ameraucana" chicks from a private breeder just because the eggs happened to be more blue than green but what she had were the wrong APA standard color offspring. That's what happens with people uneducated about the difference in EE and Amer. In the U.K. they call their equivalent U.S. Ameraucanas as "Araucanas" and the U.K. Araucanas also sport crests/muffs/tails, which U.S. Ameraucanas or U.S. Araucanas don't sport crests. I still blame the hatcheries that don't clearly explain the differences and try to lump EEs as if they were the same as Ameraucanas and Araucanas. Some brokers like MyPetChicken and California Hatchery will clearly make the distinctions but some hatcheries are still including the words "Ameraucana" and "Araucana" in their Easter Egger descriptions. No wonder the average customer gets confused! Contacting many of the hatcheries about the differences hasn't changed their misleading advertising either! Some are gradually changing the descriptions but it's the hatcheries that still include Ameraucana and Araucana in the Easter Egger descriptions that bugs me.

Back
Top Bottom