May 1, 2007
New Hampshire
June_2007045.jpg

June_2007035.jpg

June_2007046.jpg

June_2007041.jpg

June_2007036.jpg

June_2007033.jpg

Think I've got some roos...still learning and loving 'em though!

Thank you all for your kind compliments for my biddies! I'm originally from Huffman Texas so seeing 2 replies from near my hometowen was GREAT!
www.ameraucana.org Is a great website to compare photos!
The Buff Ameraucana's are so gentle and love to be handled; their my favorite right now!
big_smile.png

I don't get it. Ameraucanas vary so much. They all look like different birds.
How do you know what they are? Is there one trait, such as dark legs, that
you look for? I've reviewed some of the stuff on www.ameraucana.org. There
is a LOT of info there. I'm ranting. Gonna shut up now.

Beautiful birds and great pics!!!

Last edited:
I agree, they all are so different; which was appealing to me that I get mixes of all breeds. What I've read is that a true Auracana chicken comes from South American and was brought here and bred with domestic chickens to produce the Ameraucana breed. This breed is not truly recognized by the APA; but desired for their green, blue, and pink eggs. Although they could lay white and brown eggs too I'm assuming because of cross breeding with white and brown egg layers, but true auracana's eggs are shade of pale blue and green. The auracanas have no tailbone or 'rump' so to speak; lacking the tail feathers. The Americana breed have tail feathers and can lay white, brown, green and blue eggs and sometimes shade of grey. Each chicken will always lay the same color shell egg from start to finish of its life; from what I've read here in the forum. The Easter Egger chicken is also considered Ameraucana; but some refute that claim and say the EE is a mutt variety that the hatcheries try to pass off as Ameraucana breeds. I'm not sure what I've got the EE or Ameraucana...McMurray's is where they are from. I believe I got half and half Easter Eggers and Ameraucana...because only some of my birds have muffs and breads and all have tails. Which the muffs and breads apparantly cancel out the link to the breed Ameraucana? I'm still learning...check out the website I posted above...the photos are great for comparing! I sit out in the coop with them and call my husband from my cell phone; I think he thinks I've lost it! LOL
lol.png

I'm pretty sure those are EEs, not Ameraucana. The green legs are a pretty good sign of EE (mixed blood). Pure Ameraucana mostly have slate legs, not green. They also have standards of perfection for plumage color. I don't see any buff in your pictures, although your birds are very pretty. Ameraucana and EEs can both have muffs/beards. Altho EEs sometimes don't due to the breeding used in creating them. Both of these breeds also have tails.

I have some bantam buff ameraucana, true araucana and EEs. I enjoy all three groups, but buff is our favorite color to work with. You can look at some of the differences on our site if you like. Just click the appropriate link at the top to take you to each breed.

http://www.hinkjcpoultry.com/buffbantamameraucana.htm

Jody

Your picture number three looks a lot like my ameraucana, Cleo:
cleo5-21-07.jpg

She's just gorgeous, but of course, I'm slightly biased.
roll.png

Its true, they vary in colors. Here's what McMurray hatchery has to say (where I got Cleo from):
Adults are of medium size with pea combs and our breeding stock is selected for their ability to produce colored eggs. They exhibit a wonderful combination of colors and color patterns and 10 or 20 of these birds make an absolutely beautiful laying flock that is extremely hardy and will be the talk of the town. Baby chicks come in all colors, plain and fancy, just like the adults. This is a unique breed and great fun to have when the colored eggs start coming. Our Araucanas are recommended for egg laying color and ability and not for exhibition.
Its funny they list them as "Araucanas/Americanas" and
"Easter Egg Chickens"... covering all their bases!!!
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom