Amercauna/EE sexing

[/URL]

That is a male. Looks like a blue but hard to tell because of lighting of the picture. Besides the comb, those darker feathers starting on it are the cape feathers starting to color in. When he grows all up, he will have a dark "cape" like this blue male.

Phoebe is like a gray ish lavender colour. We thought it was a boy. We were hoping it wasn't though. Thanks.

As far as EEs, feather pattern has been the only consistent way of sexing. I've read people who say their rooster has a single defined row in his pea comb while a female has 3 defined rows. But hackle feathers on a male will be splotchy whereas a females feathers will be uniform.

As far as EEs, feather pattern has been the only consistent way of sexing. I've read people who say their rooster has a single defined row in his pea comb while a female has 3 defined rows. But hackle feathers on a male will be splotchy whereas a females feathers will be uniform.

You have things backwards on the comb -- for pea combed EE it is accurate that cockerels show 3 and pullets 1. There are several different factors that can be evaluated, each at different ages.

You have things backwards on the comb -- for pea combed EE it is accurate that cockerels show 3 and pullets 1.  There are several different factors that can be evaluated, each at different ages.

I was trying to say people have given an example of a single row male to say sexing by comb isn't always accurate.

Back
Top Bottom