American(Buff, Blue, Lavander,etc.)goose thread! Post pics!

Ok breeding season is about here for geese, I have my matless American buff gander is in love with the dog house he guards it with his life poor baby. the other two Fred and Wilma have paired off, by question is Fred is getting in the anacondas pen were Charlie the African who is bonded with Chester the crippled pekin. Now I was told Charlie is a boy I saw him one day starching out his neck while lying on the ground never saw my other ganders do that is it possible he is a she and that why Fred is getting in there? Fred also goes after Chester who can't get away I will have to put up another fence I think he is going under, it is that soft fencing. I feel bad for Charlie I don,t think he knows what to do. here is a picture of Charlie he is a lot smaller then the Americans.

well I guess I will have to wait to see what Charlie is it doesn't matter to me as long as he is happy. I just ordered another pool it is a dog pool made out of bed liner material and has a drain. I went out this morning and my geese's pool bit the dust. Boo ho those kiddie pools after awhile they crack especially when it is cold like last night. They like to breed in the pool so had no choose ha ha 200.00 later but it will be worth it and I will get it next Fri. I hope they like it. If it holds up I will get more for the ducks. I can't wait till spring .

well I guess I will have to wait to see what Charlie is it doesn't matter to me as long as he is happy. I just ordered another pool it is a dog pool made out of bed liner material and has a drain. I went out this morning and my geese's pool bit the dust. Boo ho those kiddie pools after awhile they crack especially when it is cold like last night. They like to breed in the pool so had no choose ha ha 200.00 later but it will be worth it and I will get it next Fri. I hope they like it. If it holds up I will get more for the ducks. I can't wait till spring .
@donkeydew2farms

@jchny2000 Might be able to make a good guess Charlie is a beautiful goose.

Ok breeding season is about here for geese, I have my matless American buff gander is in love with the dog house he guards it with his life poor baby. the other two Fred and Wilma have paired off, by question is Fred is getting in the anacondas pen were Charlie the African who is bonded with Chester the crippled pekin. Now I was told Charlie is a boy I saw him one day starching out his neck while lying on the ground never saw my other ganders do that is it possible he is a she and that why Fred is getting in there? Fred also goes after Chester who can't get away I will have to put up another fence I think he is going under, it is that soft fencing. I feel bad for Charlie I don,t think he knows what to do. here is a picture of Charlie he is a lot smaller then the Americans.
How old is Charlie?

hi jchny2000 he was my neighbors I think he got the geese a couple of years ago none had babies or the eggs were eaten . so I am sure Charlie is over a year and I don't think he is a pure African he has orange on his beak . I stopped my American from getting in there but he paces and stares at him . I will try and get a head shot of Charlie .

hi jchny2000 he was my neighbors I think he got the geese a couple of years ago none had babies or the eggs were eaten . so I am sure Charlie is over a year and I don't think he is a pure African he has orange on his beak . I stopped my American from getting in there but he paces and stares at him . I will try and get a head shot of Charlie .

I am wondering if he isn't a hen. The head isn't what I need to see, a mature goose will have a skin flap (called a lobe) on her belly. So a picture of the whole goose, a front shot standing up will tell us. Charlie is either a hatchery African, or Brown Chinese. If I can get a shot of one of my girls I will post tomorrow. The legs are shorter and the neck is, that makes me think hen. Is her voice high pitched, or low?

@donkeydew2farms. I love they picture of Charlie. Beautiful. I have one that has the orange on the lips also. It (sex ?) is just under a year. Mom was a Toulouse and dad was African or Brn Chinese. On the left in this picture. Sorry picture is not very clear

Thanks Sarkchick yours look like Charlie . I saw Charlie tying to mount Chester the pekin drake he does have a high call but he sounds like he is moaning most of the time he is not aggressive to me at all or the other ducks. now my American ganders are loud and bossy . I have also seen Charlie lie down and pull bits of grass and straw around him like he was trying to make a nest I don't no if that is a gander thing to do. I will try and take more pictures of him he is very private bird doesn't like to have his picture taken.

@donkeydew2farms. I'm right with you as far as trying to guess sex. I know the larger one on the right with solid black bill is a gander. It's the one on the left with orange on the bill that I'm questioning. It's voice is dealer and my blue Sweedish drakes try to mount it. I have been told by a couple that it also is a gander. Wish they had an easy tell like the drake curl.

They are my first geese. I got the eggs from my cousins Toulouse female. There was a African and a Brn Chinese gander. So not sure what they are. Hatched them in a incubator with the ducks.

Linda

Back
Top Bottom