American(Buff, Blue, Lavander,etc.)goose thread! Post pics!

Pics
I think your wear are beautiful and wht a big boy ,

Also I think your girl will be fine ( is really really most likely a girl ) my girls began I do the same I have a girl named tiny who is still the smallest of all my geese . She's doing fine he does just lay smaller eggs than my other girl though even when te egg are definetly fertile . Anyway I think she'll e fine just a smaller goose .

~~~~~~~~~~~

Said my no hatchlings this year but it was their first year they just turned a year old not long ago , the problem was that tiny got jealous when my other girl ( pink nose ) had a nest and she went and killed every single egg all were fertile. Anyway no babies this year and they stopped mateing and have become less aggressive but till have to stay pinned up because te neighbors complained that the geese had chased them .

This is Crush (the big one in the pool and then in the kitchen on the right) and Marlin! 5 week old Buffs (they hatched within a few days of each other). We had a scare with Marlin when she was about 2 weeks. The dog tried playing with her and pawed her in just the right spot. We have no idea what happened nor how she lived through it because she was definitely on the brink of death. Ever since then she's been getting further and further behind in growth.

Any suggestions??

How does she act, is she eating good? acting normal like the other one? some good poultry vitamins would probably help alot.

How does she act, is she eating good? acting normal like the other one? some good poultry vitamins would probably help alot.
She (we have deemed the small one a she and the big one a he just by default), may not go quite as crazy over food and grazing as the big one, but she is still a pretty hardy eater. I have been giving a pinch of DE here and there and was contemplating beginning apple cider vinegar to make sure she doesn't have a worm. She has always been slightly less talkative than the big one, but again, not by much. She is just as responsive to our voices, etc.

We live in a pretty small town, do resources are limited. Do you have a certain vitamin supplement to recommend?

Sorry for all the questions! I am totally new to geese but have gotten so stinkin attached to these little guys that I want to make sure I am doing everything right.

Pic of my 2 same age 5.5 weeks old

I have a Buff American 6 weeks end of this week and she is much less talkative than my Toulouse who is same age and we're also thinking Buff is girl Toulouse is boy. he is much bigger than her too but also a heavier breed wish I had another Buff her age for comparison but this breeder only had the 2 I just mentioned I wouldn't think she had worms at her age they don't get worms like other poultry because of their body temps. not saying they don't get them just not as easily as other poultry and I worm my geese 1x a year right before mating season, which is what was recc on here. As far as vitamins I like Poultry Nutri drench but there are probably other just as good. I've used the PND since I started with ducks 10 yrs ago, use if during molt mostly or if I have one that just doesn't seem right. Another thing I don't think I'd use the DE[hopefully food grade is what your using] much at all, I use to use it in my chickens feed/water fowl feed as worm er and still saw round worms in my chickens I really think about all it's good for is keeping feed fresher. especially when humidity is high. Oh and Poultry ND also has Niacin which is very important to waterfowl. They sure are pretty. That size difference is amazing. What other foods are you feeding them? [feed] etc Looks like you have great grazing land.

Last edited:
Pic of my 2 same age 5.5 weeks old

I have a Buff American 6 weeks end of this week and she is much less talkative than my Toulouse who is same age and we're also thinking Buff is girl Toulouse is boy. he is much bigger than her too but also a heavier breed wish I had another Buff her age for comparison but this breeder only had the 2 I just mentioned I wouldn't think she had worms at her age they don't get worms like other poultry because of their body temps. not saying they don't get them just not as easily as other poultry and I worm my geese 1x a year right before mating season, which is what was recc on here. As far as vitamins I like Poultry Nutri drench but there are probably other just as good. I've used the PND since I started with ducks 10 yrs ago, use if during molt mostly or if I have one that just doesn't seem right. Another thing I don't think I'd use the DE[hopefully food grade is what your using] much at all, I use to use it in my chickens feed/water fowl feed as worm er and still saw round worms in my chickens I really think about all it's good for is keeping feed fresher. especially when humidity is high. Oh and Poultry ND also has Niacin which is very important to waterfowl. They sure are pretty. That size difference is amazing. What other foods are you feeding them? [feed] etc Looks like you have great grazing land.
They are adorable, but wow! They look much more feathered than my babies. I will look for some vitamins this evening! Thank you! Yes to food grade DE, but maybe I'll try slacking off on that, I have 12 chickens so I was a little paranoid about them contracting something to the goslings. I am feeding them a local (Southern Oregon) blend of feed (https://shop.grangecoop.com/product...one-poultry-feed-10lb-71594.html#.U7x5_fldUXs) in the morning and evening (a few handfuls or until they walk away from it) and then they graze all day in the lawn (they are starting to go out in the sage brush and pastures, but are still leery of getting too far from the house and where they know I am). They clean up after the chickens too, which is 1/2 the same grain, 1/2 dry COB. I chose this feed because it is the only one available in a mid-range protein. Others were 16% or 21%, being (what I thought was) too low and too high.

They are adorable, but wow! They look much more feathered than my babies. I will look for some vitamins this evening! Thank you! Yes to food grade DE, but maybe I'll try slacking off on that, I have 12 chickens so I was a little paranoid about them contracting something to the goslings. I am feeding them a local (Southern Oregon) blend of feed (https://shop.grangecoop.com/product...one-poultry-feed-10lb-71594.html#.U7x5_fldUXs) in the morning and evening (a few handfuls or until they walk away from it) and then they graze all day in the lawn (they are starting to go out in the sage brush and pastures, but are still leery of getting too far from the house and where they know I am). They clean up after the chickens too, which is 1/2 the same grain, 1/2 dry COB. I chose this feed because it is the only one available in a mid-range protein. Others were 16% or 21%, being (what I thought was) too low and too high.
Looks like a really good feed, I use Purina Flock raiser with 20% protein not what I'd like to use but not many choices here where we live. I think though with our goslings on grass it helps to drop the protein down a notch or 2 which is good. I'm thinking some supplemental vitamins for a while and Marlin should start catching up. Some goslings/ducks/chicks just seem to need a little extra and maybe with her being injured set her back a bit. So happy to see she survived. If you are looking for a decent wormer where you don 't have egg withdrawl you might want to look into Epernix Pour on. I buy from Jeffers live stock on line since no one carries it around here. I use it 3X a year on my chickens and 1X a year on my water fowl. It goes on the neck like frontline for dogs. Keep us updated on your little ones and post lots of pics we love watching them grow, The gosling hatching for 2014 is another fun place to hang out and see what others have hatched this year. and
welcome-byc.gif

Here are my five week old American Buff babies, they've gotten so big!

I saw mention of deworming geese. Can someone give me more info on that?
I was given info about worming geese and it was recc they get wormed right before breeding season starts each year. So hear it will be in Jan since breeding starts in Feb. I'm not sure what others use but I like Epernix Pour on since I can use it with my whole flock and I have laying hens I like that there is no egg with drawl with it. keeps me from having to buy separate wormers. . Youe Buffs are gorgeous, it's amazing how large they are at 5 weeks.Mine will be 6 weeks weeks on Friday.

I was given info about worming geese and it was recc they get wormed right before breeding season starts each year. So hear it will be in Jan since breeding starts in Feb. I'm not sure what others use but I like Epernix Pour on since I can use it with my whole flock and I have laying hens I like that there is no egg with drawl with it. keeps me from having to buy separate wormers. . Youe Buffs are gorgeous, it's amazing how large they are at 5 weeks.Mine will be 6 weeks weeks on Friday.

Thank you for the information. How much of the pour on do you use?

Yes, they are growing so big!

Thank you for the information. How much of the pour on do you use?

Yes, they are growing so big!
I went by my LF hens and they get 7 drops on the base of their necks just like you would do a dog using front line for fleas. it has it get on the skin too, so I did 14 drops on my gander and 10 on my goose, I didn't do the goslings. I used an old nose drop bottle that has one of those dropper in it so i could count the drops. It really isn't hard I hold the goose between my legs and hunt for skin[that's the hard part finding skin in all those feathers] lol

Back
Top Bottom