American Buff geese/Toulouse Geese questions

Crandox

In the Brooder
Jun 10, 2022
Ok so I know I’ve posted the same general questions a lot but I have OCD SO I’m gonna make sure I make the right decisions lmao. What are American Buff geese like? Are they quiet? Also how many eggs per year do they lay assuming I take the eggs away for incubation, and at what age do they start laying? And also what about Toulouse geese are they quiet? I want to get just 3 geese, mostly females, but they can’t be loud or at least not more than slightly louder than a female duck. There are some people selling 11 week old Buff geese on Craigslist and I actually ordered some African goslings because they were the only type of goose not sold out at the hatcheries at this time of year, even though I’m afraid they might be too loud, but I felt it was my only choice. But now I’m thinking about getting the partially grown buff geese from Craigslist, would they suit my needs better than the African geese or are African geese quiet and tame? Any help is appreciated.

Geese are larger than ducks so no matter what they will be louder than a duck regardless of breed.
I haven’t noticed any difference between how noisy my Toulouse are compared to my buffs, they’re about the same. They honk when they’re trying to call to one another, the females have a piercing cackle if they’re annoyed with something and trying to pick a fight, besides that geese are generally talkative and communicate with moderate clucks and burbles.
On average Buffs lay 25 to 35 eggs a year according to Metzer.
I can’t remember what age mine started laying, usually around midwinter is when mine usually start laying.

Buffs are fairly calm, but they aren’t devoid of personlality. One of my Buff females likes to scold me with nips if I anger her by not giving her enough treats.

All geese are loud during breeding season. They are quieter during the off season. They are definitely louder than ducks.

African more specifically Chinese likely fall on the loud side of the goose world from everything I see or read. I don't know about CL specials, but the Buffs should be an ok choice.

Back
Top Bottom