American Gamefowl Thread!!!!

The last bird you post does look like a game. I was going by overall body shape and type of feathers for others. The flightiness has more to do with rearing environment than actual genetics in this case. With some work you can tame them down quite easily.

No they are in several different pens. I do let them mingle and yes they do get in scraps. They free range mostly so that seems to help. I do not dub my roosters maybe that is throwing you off. I will see if I can get in touch with the original owner and find out where he got them from. He had a poultry business here and went to many auctions. They had to move back to NC because of job closing. He raised Gamefowl, Top hats (what he called them) I think they are really called Polish and Ameraucana. I know that he created EE by crossing the Ameraucana roosters with other hens but he keep all of his Game in separate pens with matching hens, usually two hens per rooster. I thought that my youngest rooster looked a lot like the Kelso Game. Is it certain colors on him that makes it not so? I CAN NOT get him to be still long enough for a picture. UGH! I will try again with another camera I have that is supposed to take pictures of movement. He has the aradecent feathers that turn different colors when the sun light hits them. He also has the white fluff looking feathers at the top base of his tail like pictures of the Kelso Game. That is why I though he might be one. So if he isn't but he looks similar then he could be a Kelso mix?? They were fighting and he jumped up on the door yesterday. I had another one jump up on top of the barn when something scared him. They are so very flighty.
Those look like games. There is a game breed called toppies. Maybe that's what he was referring to? They kinda look like kelso or hatch. Is that second one black?

The last bird you post does look like a game. I was going by overall body shape and type of feathers for others. The flightiness has more to do with rearing environment than actual genetics in this case. With some work you can tame them down quite easily.
If only I could get them to be still. My husband and I rescued these at 1:30 am one just before a thunderstorm, so yes they are a bit on the wild side. The last pictures I posted is the same bird he is young and just getting his spurs. We found him and a young female game?? together hiding in some dead tree limbs we had stacked at the edge of our land. They looked to be about 6 weeks old when we found them. They are our youngest. She started laying about a month ago and has now gone broody. They are not trusting at all but they have come a long way with us working with them. My husband named the Bonnie and Clyde LOL! Because they were hiding out.

Those look like games.
There is a game breed called toppies. Maybe that's what he was referring to?
They kinda look like kelso or hatch.
Is that second one black?
The pictures are of the same rooster. He was under the run so it was shaded and came out dark. I didn't know about Game being called toppies. I just thought he meant had feathers on top of it's head like Polish chickens. LOL! Boy do I have a lot yet to learn. I will try to get better pictures with a different camera today.

The pictures are of the same rooster. He was under the run so it was shaded and came out dark. I didn't know about Game being called toppies. I just thought he meant had feathers on top of it's head like Polish chickens. LOL! Boy do I have a lot yet to learn. I will try to get better pictures with a different camera today. 

Yup toppies have something similar on their head just not nearly as dramatic as polish. More like a Mohawk on males and hen look like their wearing one of those hair net things cafateria people wear. But he does not look toppie In any way but the top hat gamefarm has them. And I'm not shure where they are located you would have to visit their website

Yup toppies have something similar on their head just not nearly as dramatic as polish. More like a Mohawk on males and hen look like their wearing one of those hair net things cafateria people wear. But he does not look toppie In any way but the top hat gamefarm has them. And I'm not shure where they are located you would have to visit their website
I wish I could find the farm for the Top Hat Game. I have been trying to find what the Top Hat Game looks like but can't find anything but Polish chickens. Does anyone know where to find the Top Hat Game Chickens?

I was able to get more pictures of our Gamefowl. I'm thinking now after looking at the internet, that some of our roosters and hens are American Game and some are Old English. I just don't know which is which other than the one I think may be a Kelso.
Here go the pictures.
These two pictures are of the rooster from before. The earlier pictures of him were so dark. I was able to get some pictures showing his colors.

This one has a different comb than all the others. I think he may be Old English. He is about the size of the one above. He is also just coming into his spurs like the one above.

This is a picture of one of the hens and I believe an Old English rooster. Not sure if the hen is OEG or American but she is small compared to some of the other game hens. She was a rescue. She was living alone in a tree at a neighbors home. The neighbors had moved. She looked like she was attacked by and owl or hawk when I found her. She had a bad cut on the back of her head and now has a scar. The rooster next to her in the picture constantly checked on her.

Another picture of the hen with another Game hen. The Game hen with her back to the camera is taller than the one that was injured.

This is a silver/gray colored Game hen. She is also on the bigger/taller side.

This definitely has toppy blood in it. Looks like a toppy/blue cross.

Back
Top Bottom