American Lavender Geese

The way poultry standards are written, genetic heritage is not a requirement for a bird to be accepted as a breed -- or, at least, that's what's continually echoed here. There are poultry breeds which have varieties listed under them, even though the varieties themselves had different genetic origins (Rhode Island Red vs Rhode Island White, for example). They are considered the same breed because they can breed true to the same conformation, despite the fact that each arose independently from one another. There is a breed of turkey today that was formerly extinct, but was revived by combining other breeds which had the necessary color genes to recombine to form the color conformation in the extinct breed's SOP -- ironically, also a Buff (Jersey Buffs). They can be shown as the same breed, even though it is clear that today's birds are not descended from the birds in the original population. If they fit the physical description and can breed true, they're in.

smile.png

Correct. That's what I was getting at when I said, "Regardless, when it comes to poultry, adherence to a breed is based on appearance and ability to reproduce true to the breed." This is because there are no registries in poultry, genetic heritage is not tracked. That doesn't mean it's not important though, especially with rare breeds; it comes down to genetic preservation and that's enough fodder for a whole 'nother thread.

OOOOH!

Thanks, you rock!

I know I'm weird, but genetics and breeding to me is pretty interesting and exciting.

tongue.png

This is the thread I was thinking of. Rather than regurgitating, you can just go read there. I still say those geese are just buffs, but time will tell.
smile.png

In another discussion Pete55 said that if you cross a lav gander over a buff female you will get 100% blue offspring with the males split for buff.

Correct. That's what I was getting at when I said, "Regardless, when it comes to poultry, adherence to a breed is based on appearance and ability to reproduce true to the breed." This is because there are no registries in poultry, genetic heritage is not tracked. That doesn't mean it's not important though, especially with rare breeds; it comes down to genetic preservation and that's enough fodder for a whole 'nother thread.

This is the thread I was thinking of. Rather than regurgitating, you can just go read there. I still say those geese are just buffs, but time will tell.
smile.png

In another discussion Pete55 said that if you cross a lav gander over a buff female you will get 100% blue offspring with the males split for buff.

THANKS SO MUCH!!!

Regarding the last statement -- that is to be expected with that cross. The one I mentioned was the opposite -- Buff gander X Lavender goose. To be Buff, the gander needs two copies of the Buff gene, so all his offspring will inherit one Buff gene from him. To be Lavender, the goose needs two copies of the Blue gene, so all her offspring will inherit one Blue gene from her. Because Buff is sex-linked, female offspring require only one copy of Buff to show the color, so all the females from the cross I mentioned will show Buff. But they're also getting one copy of the Blue gene from their mom, so they'll also show that. Thus the female offspring will show Buff and Blue. The male offspring will show Blue, but be split to Buff.

In the cross mentioned by Pete55, the Buff female can give her Buff gene only to her sons, and since her sons need two copies of the gene to show the color, they will be split to Buff. All offspring will inherit one Blue gene, since their Dad is Lavender (has two Blue genes). So all offspring will be Blue, but the males will also be split to Buff. If those sons were bred to Blue females, half of their daughters would be Blue-Buff, the other half being Blue. If instead the sons were bred to Buff females, then half of the offspring (sons and daughters) would be Blue-Buff, and the other half regular Blue (though the sons would also be split to Buff).

I'm going to read through the thread you posted -- thanks again!

big_smile.png

In my opinion, if the geese are American geese and you cross the colors, what you might get is an unrecognized color, not a mutt.

Oh wait, blue and lavender are already unrecognized colors.

Since Holderread was one of the leading sources for Buff Americans, I can't think of any reason that he could not use Americans in his breeding program. It wouldn't matter to him that they are a rare breed, since he had plenty of them.

Since both the blue and lavender breed true,even when the 2 colors are bred together, that meets the definition of a breed.

Yes, they are simply not recognized as breeds because they have to go through a crazy process the APA mandates to be recognized... Got to see the Blue Steinbacher get recognized not too long ago at nationals...

BUT, anyone have a female to let go of?

THANKS SO MUCH!!!

Regarding the last statement -- that is to be expected with that cross. The one I mentioned was the opposite -- Buff gander X Lavender goose. To be Buff, the gander needs two copies of the Buff gene, so all his offspring will inherit one Buff gene from him. To be Lavender, the goose needs two copies of the Blue gene, so all her offspring will inherit one Blue gene from her. Because Buff is sex-linked, female offspring require only one copy of Buff to show the color, so all the females from the cross I mentioned will show Buff. But they're also getting one copy of the Blue gene from their mom, so they'll also show that. Thus the female offspring will show Buff and Blue. The male offspring will show Blue, but be split to Buff.

In the cross mentioned by Pete55, the Buff female can give her Buff gene only to her sons, and since her sons need two copies of the gene to show the color, they will be split to Buff. All offspring will inherit one Blue gene, since their Dad is Lavender (has two Blue genes). So all offspring will be Blue, but the males will also be split to Buff. If those sons were bred to Blue females, half of their daughters would be Blue-Buff, the other half being Blue. If instead the sons were bred to Buff females, then half of the offspring (sons and daughters) would be Blue-Buff, and the other half regular Blue (though the sons would also be split to Buff).

I'm going to read through the thread you posted -- thanks again!

big_smile.png

Question on the offspring @AquaEyes and @pete55 . I see you saying when breeding Lavender gander to Buff goose all offspring will be blue and the male offspring will be blue split to buff, is this Lavender/Self-Blue you are meaning or do you mean truly blue? I have a Lavender Ice gander from HWF and a Buff goose. I just would love to know what to expect in colors. Thank you!

Last edited:
Question on the offspring. I see you saying when breeding Lavender gander to Buff goose all offspring will be blue and the male offspring will be blue split to buff, is this Lavender/Self-Blue you are meaning or do you mean truly blue? I have a Lavender Ice gander from HWF and a Buff goose (whose parent stock I believe originated from HWF). I just would love to know what to expect in colors. Thank you!
This is an old thread you might want to tag and see if they respond by tagging you hit @then their byc name @AquaEyes Hope it works your geese are gorgeous. and
Welcome to BYC!

Thank you for your help @Miss Lydia ! Thank you also for your kind remarks!
Your very welcome

Best time to get to talk on this thread with other geese lovers is during breeding and hatching season. It's pretty quiet this time of year.

We're glad you joined us though. And if nothing else share more pics of your too until January comes around. I am around alot and few other of us too.
smile.png

We breed Buffs, Lavenders and Blue Americans in Canada. Buff is a recessive colour. The Blue variety is heterozygous and Lavender is homozygous. There are 3 shades of blue. You can have buff and lavender, but you should be expecting to see buff colouring to your lavender. Same goes for a Blue american who is homozygous for buff.

Maybe I will post some photos in spring.

Back
Top Bottom