American serama thread!

1. Seramas are the world's smallest chicken. Ranging in weight between 9 and 19 ounces, imagine a full grown rooster the size of a pigeon -- that's a Serama!
2. Seramas have a tame and gentle disposition, ranking with the calmest of any of the breeds known, standard or bantam. Both hens and roosters are open to handling. Even children can readily pet and hold the great majority of Seramas. This is considered by many owners as a more important feature than the small size.

3. Most importantly, with their erect carriage and engaging "toy soldier" strut, along with a striking range of color, the Serama cannot be confused with any other chicken, large or small. It is no wonder that those of us who have seen one, want one.

For those with very little space, or with close neighbors, Seramas may be the only option for people who would like chickens as pets but have not been able to consider them before. In Malaysia, where the Serama originates, it is the number one household pet. More Seramas than cats and dogs combined. Showing Seramas there is a major pastime, with local and national competitions numbering in the hundreds annually, if not thousands.

Existing as a landrace in Malaysia, with origins sketchy and not fully known to this day, a number (135) were imported to the US in 2001, by Jerry Schexnayder of Louisiana and were introduced to the American Public via the Ohio National, Columbus, a show in Lincoln, Nebraska and another venue in Tucson, Arizona, that same year. In 2003 the first ever Serama Show in the US, was held in conjunction with the Ohio National. The following spring a Serama Only Show, the Cajun Classic was held in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.

One of the first importers, Jerry Schexnayder, along with Brian Reeder, KY founded a national organization called Serama Council of North America (SCNA) and went on to develop a breed that the organization refers to as the American Serama, to conform to a type standard developed from several type of serama as shown in Malaysia. SCNA is currently working for acceptance as a true breed in the APA and has already been accepted by the ABA, with many breeders concentrating on a pure white bird. This is so there is a single focal point for entry, with a bird that comes in literally thousands of color variations and feather patterns.

The SCNA has gone on to sponsor and support sister organizations in the Netherlands (The Netherlands Serama Club, NSC), and in the UK (UK Serama Club, UKSC).

The SCNA sponsors a forum which serves over 200 members. While the complete member areas are open to registered dues paid members only, other areas are open to the general public.

The SCNA forums is a must for anyone seeking information on the Serama. The group is varied in background and you will find wide and stimulating conversations. The SCNA also sponsors a website, www.scnaonline.org, which is open to everyone.

SCNA offers three membership levels: Family-$20, Individual-$15, Youth (17 and under)-FREE. It's simple to join on line at: www.scnaonline.org. or mail in your application for membership to SCNA, P.O. Box 159, Vacherie, La. 70090.
Membership is welcomed and encouraged.

Thank you!

My birds usually take about 6 or 8 months to mature.
They're still ugly ducklings at 4 months, although hens may start laying at about 5 months.
Both sexes keep getting a good bit bigger and prettier.

Matador

Honestly, I don't think I can afford that
lau.gif
I'm low on funds, and eggs seems the best affordable option ATM. But, I will save and think of this in the future.
Eggs that are shipped are a matter of luck when it comes to hatching them. I"ve gone this route a few times. At times disappointed and other times quite pleased. The only serama eggs I had shipped, out of 20 eggs 11 hatched and all survived. The disappointment came as they grew. Only three really showed any serama characteristics. I'm going to try shipped eggs again as soon as the weather permits, but this time the eggs will come from a better source---NOT EBAY.

I really enjoy looking at the many pictures that have been posted. However, to judge birds as being good and bad… Pictures can be deceiving. Below is a picture of a serama hen (quite fearful). If I hadn't taken the picture myself I would not believe the picture to be my hen; it looks very little like her.
Normally she stands vertically, holds her tail and head up, wings down, and the back is shorter. To my eyes this bird looks bad. The actual bird, while being less than perfection, is a nice serama hen. And when I can get a picture that shows Pearl as she is I will post it

I really enjoy looking at the many pictures that have been posted. However, to judge birds as being good and bad… Pictures can be deceiving. Below is a picture of a serama hen (quite fearful). If I hadn't taken the picture myself I would not believe the picture to be my hen; it looks very little like her. Normally she stands vertically, holds her tail and head up, wings down, and the back is shorter. To my eyes this bird looks bad. The actual bird, while being less than perfection, is a nice serama hen. And when I can get a picture that shows Pearl as she is I will post it
This hen has a brood of chicks that will be four weeks old tomorrow.
Today she laid the first egg of her next clutch. -31 degrees F. today and the heated coop is far from warm; now to decide if I let her brood again when winter is at its worst.

Hi! I have 4 hens 4 mo old. Since Christmas day I've been collecting 3 eggs a day. I figured one wasn't laying yet or a couple of them went laying every day. So today I open up to get the eggs and find 7!! How is this possible? 7 eggs from 4 hens in 24 hrs?

Hi! I have 4 hens 4 mo old. Since Christmas day I've been collecting 3 eggs a day. I figured one wasn't laying yet or a couple of them went laying every day. So today I open up to get the eggs and find 7!! How is this possible? 7 eggs from 4 hens in 24 hrs?

No clue! But, I like your birds
1f44d.png

Maybe a few layed eggs late at night and then they all layed eggs the next day
1f601.png

Last edited:
@nchls school
Pictures can totally be deceiving, I agree. I like your little hen. (Pearl right?) if though she isn't posed she is still very cute. And I am glad the frizzles chicks are doing well. My frizzle turned out to be a Cockeral, so his name is now Frizzy not Mimi
1f602.png

I am looking for Serama chickens in the Greater Kansas City Area. I have been wanting some for years - literally. We finally moved somewhere that I will be able to have chickens. I think I would prefer to purchase some if I can afford it as opposed to taking my chances hatching eggs. It's insanely cold right now so it is not urgent but I do want to have them by spring if possible.

Thank you in advance.

Back
Top Bottom