American serama thread!

today is day 21. Out of 30 eggs that made it to day 18, 5 have hatched and 2 more are on their way. I installed all new daylight LED lights for them and am trying a few new tricks with the next batch. I am almost glad they took longer than normal to hatch as these chicks pipped and zipped overnight and were much more lively right out of the bator. Will update more in a couple days :fl  

That's good news. Hopefully you will have several more begin to hatch. My day 19 starts at 830 tonight, nothing yet. My buffs are day 21 tonight. We have one out and 8 more pipped out of 14 so far. That makes me feel like everything went pretty good with the incubation process maybe a little too high on my temp. Seramas are just making nervous, a little more patience would help.

My eggs arrived today. I have 13 to set, 2 look like pullet eggs and have wonky aircells but the other 11 look pretty good. I'm going to cross every part of my body for the next 19-21 days!

@vasher Those are beautiful chicks!

13 out of 14 buff orpingtons hatched. Our seramas, 3 have hatched and 2 more have pipped.

So on bator 1 13/30 that made it to lockdown hatched. a couple made it to external pips then quit and the rest look like they quit right around day 18 when I upped the humidity. None hatched until day 21 this time so I am thinking My temps were a bit too low and might have done better had I waited until day 19 to up the humidity and stop turning. It was not a certain pair that were quitters so i did get a nice variety. In bator 2 today is day 21 and 3 have hatched so far out of 18 that made it until lockdown.
fl.gif
Snow hatched 2 then left her eggs for the babies so 1 is finishing up zipping now. they all look happy and healthy.
celebrate.gif
I am getting ready for show 3/18 so i am changing their diets in anticipation. I'll collect eggs the week of and set them when I get home to see if diet makes a difference. I am getting some very nice grow outs. Only problem is that all the ladies want to go broody now
he.gif

Babies! What incubation day is it now for you? Seems like you have temp/humidity set up well, judging by the Orps. Keep going , little Serama eggs. :fl

8 or 9 tonight would technically start day 21. I set them on a Thursday night, or at least that is the way I count. We now have 5 out. 4 are mostly black with buff underneath and one is like a buff color with a black stripe down its back. Not familar with the difference in the coloring, not sure if that means something or not. I have a lot to learn about seramas.

My second egg order arrived today. The air cells are pretty bad in most of them and I only have 8. The eggs are very tiny compared to the first eggs to arrive earlier this week. Out of 21 eggs I am crossing my fingers to get 3 or 4 chicks.

My first 13 eggs were set yesterday.

6 seramas hatched, don't see anymore pips at this point. I will leave them in for one more day just in case but I am guessing that is it for them. Here are a few pictures of this newest hatch.

Last edited:
6 seramas hatched, don't see anymore pips at this point. I will leave them in for one more day just in case but I am guessing that is it for them. Here are a few pictures of this newest hatch.

Cute-y pies!
ya.gif

You could grab one egg from the incubator and candle it. I turned on the shower in my bathroom, got everything toasty and wet, then did a fast candle for each remaining eggs, though I'm not sure humidity matters all that much for unpipped eggs. And they weren't moving anyways
hit.gif

Back
Top Bottom