American serama thread!

ok, for info on the dosage- here is some info given to me

she is doing better tonite, still congested but breathing easier, thought for sure i was losing her- she is such a tiny thing
How is she today, Robin? I just wanted to tell you something that seemed to help back when I had a sniffly Serama. I used a cool mist humidifier with Oxine in the water right next to the cage (indoors) and closed the room to keep the mist in. I believe it was a quarter cup of it in a full humidifier. They breathe that and it helps kill virus if that's what's going on. I also put a couple drops of Oxine in the drinking water cup, but if you are doing antibiotics in the water they wouldn't mix well, I'm sure. VetRx rubbed on the comb and wattles helps open up the breathing too. I did the Oxine and the VetRx for about 3 days and it seemed to clear it up. Praying she gets ok.

Last edited:
Cool! mabe put the young boys with older girls so they can practice?
Oh dear, maybe I do anthropomorphize these little birds. I'm reluctant to do that because they belong to Sirius! LOL This is actually a good idea I think, thank you!

Of course, I keep catching the boys practicing on eachother
he.gif
lau.gif

Last edited:
So, my frizzles look completely different form each other. One has wide soft feathers that curl, the other has skinny ones that stick straight out. Any idea why anyone?
The calicoish one is my little roo chick, the other is my pullet when she was around the same age.

So, my frizzles look completely different form each other. One has wide soft feathers that curl, the other has skinny ones that stick straight out. Any idea why anyone? The calicoish one is my little roo chick, the other is my pullet when she was around the same age.
The skinny feathers could be caused by a frizzle to frizzle breeding. The result is thin, brittle feathers that break easily. That's why your supposed to breed Frizzles to smooth.

i found an egg that was behind the nest box for who knows how long? i through it as high as i could into a short grass patch... the egg didnt break! i tried 5 more times before giveing uop! i guess my girls are healthy due to their thick egg shells!

The skinny feathers could be caused by a frizzle to frizzle breeding. The result is thin, brittle feathers that break easily. That's why your supposed to breed Frizzles to smooth.
Oops, forgot to add that he isn't a curly. The person I got the eggs from only had a frizzle roo. I thought maybe that was why too.
idunno.gif

I can't really help, except to say, I think my Ron has the frizzle gene plus a modifier. The modifier makes him look smooth, but with some curly feathers. I don't know if there is a range on that, how much frizzle shows up, but I'm noticing that a good frizzle isn't easy to get!

I can't really help, except to say, I think my Ron has the frizzle gene plus a modifier. The modifier makes him look smooth, but with some curly feathers. I don't know if there is a range on that, how much frizzle shows up, but I'm noticing that a good frizzle isn't easy to get!
Lol, that's about all that I can come up with too. I really don't need a frizzle roo, I love my frizzle pullet so just want smooth roos, but he's got me curious enough I want to keep him just to see what's up with him. I'm wondering if maybe his momma was a frizzle with modifiers like yours and he is a curly, or if maybe he's split to silkied or something else fun. So maybe I'll keep him long enough to get a few chicks to see.
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom