American serama thread!

hey - are seramas prone to blindness? this boy is blind now, dilated pupils

0.jpg

any idea on treatment?

Poor boy. I was at a tabletop show a few years ago and someone brought a cockerel with nerve damage. She attributed it to inbreeding and showed it to make people aware of the problem. Maybe cause of the blindness is something similar. I know Mareks can cause changes in the eyes, but not blindness. Can't think of anything else that might be causing it.

Can he find his food and water?

yes, his hen is showing him around, i'm giving him extra vitamins, i just feel so sorry for him- he has a frizzle cochin hen that is super timid, so before this happened they got along fine, she is mothering him, and eating and drinking, preening- i know inbreeding is an issue sometimes, i got him as an adult so can't say whether that is an issue-

Last edited:
yes, his hen is showing him around, i'm giving him extra vitamins, i just feel so sorry for him- he has a frizzle cochin hen that is super timid, so before this happened they got along fine, she is mothering him, and eating and drinking, preening- i know inbreeding is an issue sometimes, i got him as an adult so can't say whether that is an issue-

Inbreeding was one of my first thoughts too Artsy... Poor fellow, SO glad he has a friend to help him tho..... :love

Back
Top Bottom