American serama thread!

HI...I am very new to Seramas. I hatched 11 from 14 shipped eggs that made it to lockdown (plus one little Mille Fleur D'Uccle).They were from a wonderful lady here on BYC. I have quite a variety of colors and am wondering about how they might feather out. I am also wondering if they need any special care/treatment. They hatched about a week go and are doing great so far.

These are pictures of some of them that hatched first. I haven't taken any of all of them yet. Some have black/gray chipmunk stripes...some have more brown looking stripes. Some black, some dark brown with light brown wings, and a couple marked similar to Black Copper Marans chicks.

HI...I am very new to Seramas. I hatched 11 from 14 shipped eggs that made it to lockdown (plus one little Mille Fleur D'Uccle).They were from a wonderful lady here on BYC. I have quite a variety of colors and am wondering about how they might feather out. I am also wondering if they need any special care/treatment. They hatched about a week go and are doing great so far.

These are pictures of some of them that hatched first. I haven't taken any of all of them yet. Some have black/gray chipmunk stripes...some have more brown looking stripes. Some black, some dark brown with light brown wings, and a couple marked similar to Black Copper Marans chicks.

love.gif

Beautiful babies and welcome to a huge addiction. The things to consider and watch out for on Serama chicks...One I would grind their food into more of a powder or moisten...they will consume it better. Two Seramas seem to have invented pasty butt so keep a watch for that. Other than those two things they are the same as any other chick only smaller and so fun to raise.

Quote: Thanks for the heads up! I have already noticed they seem to be much more friendly than others. As soon as I stick my hand into the brooder they come running! It is almost like a contest to see who can get there faster! It is really fun to watch. I first saw Seramas at a local poultry show when they had a Table Top competition. The jusdges were wonderful and told everyone exactly what they were looking for and why they placed each bird where they did. The gave the exhibitors great feedback on what they could do to improve for next time. I have a 9 year od Grandson who wants to get into 4-H and these guys would be perfect for that!

Hello, I have posted here quite a few times, but I am thinking about breeding seramas but I have a few questions...

What do you do with the extra roosters?

I can't remember the other questions but I will post if I remember

Hello, I have posted here quite a few times, but I am thinking about breeding seramas but I have a few questions...

What do you do with the extra roosters?

I can't remember the other questions but I will post if I remember
Probably the same thing I do with any rooster.....try to sell what you can (4-hers, FFA, etc) or donate them to those organizations. or rehome them as pets.

Yeah, I hold on to pet quality roosters until I can find them a good home. Not too hard to do since they're small and not prone to causing trouble. Some folks take theirs to poultry auction as "misc bantams" if that is an option for them and unload them all at once. I've also heard of people who keep all their serama culls in one big flock away from their breeders and just let them live as chickens.... s'what I'm gonna do once I have the land for it. It is a resource sink, but the way I see it, I am responsible for every animal I bring in to this world to the very end.

People won't contact you to eat them even if you're rehoming for free, I've found. They don't turn out a carcass worth ending a life over. Folks looking for something that dresses out so small do better to look for quail. There's other stuff to worry about when looking for a good home, though. I have gone to someone's property to deliver a roo where I could hear LOTS of roosters, so I got the heck out of there without even going to the front door. They saw me pull up and were not happy, left threats on my phone for two weeks afterwards. That rooster is a house pet for someone else now instead, thank goodness! I've also been contacted by people who think it would be funny to hand off a tiny chicken to another pet as a toy to kill or a novelty meal. They've always gotten nothing but an earful from me. Don't be afraid to ask potential homes questions, and don't be afraid to turn down a potential buyer because you're uncomfortable. They're teeny birds hardly eating any food or taking up any space, they can sit with you a bit longer... better than them going to a hell house.

Last edited:
Yeah, I hold on to pet quality roosters until I can find them a good home. Not too hard to do since they're small and not prone to causing trouble. Some folks take theirs to poultry auction as "misc bantams" if that is an option for them and unload them all at once. I've also heard of people who keep all their serama culls in one big flock away from their breeders and just let them live as chickens.... s'what I'm gonna do once I have the land for it. It is a resource sink, but the way I see it, I am responsible for every animal I bring in to this world to the very end.

People won't contact you to eat them even if you're rehoming for free, I've found. They don't turn out a carcass worth ending a life over. Folks looking for something that dresses out so small do better to look for quail. There's other stuff to worry about when looking for a good home, though. I have gone to someone's property to deliver a roo where I could hear LOTS of roosters, so I got the heck out of there without even going to the front door. They saw me pull up and were not happy, left threats on my phone for two weeks afterwards. That rooster is a house pet for someone else now instead, thank goodness! I've also been contacted by people who think it would be funny to hand off a tiny chicken to another pet as a toy to kill or a novelty meal. They've always gotten nothing but an earful from me. Don't be afraid to ask potential homes questions, and don't be afraid to turn down a potential buyer because you're uncomfortable. They're teeny birds hardly eating any food or taking up any space, they can sit with you a bit longer... better than them going to a hell house.
goodpost.gif
I agree 100% There are always people out there who will find some sinister use for live animals. Always ask questions! People around here will take free dogs to use as bait or for training dogs for fighting. I imagine the same could be done with roosters.

Back
Top Bottom