American serama thread!

Boyz start crowing when ever they feel like it. so no worries on that AND for the girlz they will start laying when ever they feel like it as well. Generally speaking after about 5-6 months on seramas and LFs it can be up to 10 months depends on what breed. Also it is winter time and that sends signals to their body to slow down for the cold season, so that plays another part in when they start. You can give them more daylight hours artifically to help get their egg laying machine going :)
thank you for your response ! I kind of figured they would be on the same route as a standard's. Patches is my first covkerel to Crow at 10 weeks. I didn't think they laid any sooner but was curious since I'm just learning about this wonderful breed! I'll definitely be setting some eggs or incubating in next few months. How long do you typically keep seramas on chick starter? They will be 10 weeks on Thursday . Is it ok to give him and her grower food now? Or keep them in starter for a bit longer? Thank you so much!

How many chicks are you talking about? The "pair" is the one you got from Jerry correct? They are just babies themselves :love If everyone is about the same age they can all play together no sweat. I have had my super broody serama hen hatch and raise Game birds with NO problems.

When I say pair I am referring to the ones I got from Jerry. I let them play together during the day but deprecate them at night so I can socialize the younger ones better. It works out good.

thank you for your response ! I kind of figured they would be on the same route as a standard's. Patches is my first covkerel to Crow at 10 weeks. I didn't think they laid any sooner but was curious since I'm just learning about this wonderful breed! I'll definitely be setting some eggs or incubating in next few months. How long do you typically keep seramas on chick starter? They will be 10 weeks on Thursday . Is it ok to give him and her grower food now? Or keep them in starter for a bit longer? Thank you so much!

Once they are fully feathered then yes you can start giving the grower food :D

Quote:
One of my girls started laying at 16 weeks, but I'm still waiting on my 6 month olds. My boys normally crow at 7 weeks
he.gif
Too early for me!

I keep mine on starter feed until the girls start laying, but you can definitely switch to grower at 10 weeks.

Last edited:
One of my girls started laying at 16 weeks, but I'm still waiting on my 6 month olds. My boys normally crow at 7 weeks :he  Too early for me!

I keep mine on starter feed until the girls start laying, but you can definitely switch to grower at 10 weeks.
Would patches need a different diet ? I Hurd roosters needed different food or it internally hurts them . I have no idea if this is true???!!! I'll do a mix for a week see how well they fair. Thank you !!

Would patches need a different diet ? I Hurd roosters needed different food or it internally hurts them . I have no idea if this is true???!!! I'll do a mix for a week see how well they fair. Thank you !!

What you are thinking of is excess calcium from layer feed. While hens can excrete that calcium in the form of eggs, males cannot. That duty then falls on their kidneys to get rid of it all, and over time excess calcium causes kidney damage. Just like you would see in young hens fed layer too soon. It isn't very often talked about. People like to pretend roosters will magically be ok... but is something to consider for valuable breeders and rooster pets you want the longest possible lifespan from. Especially with serama, who are tiny birds with tiny organs more easily overwhelmed.

If he's in with all the hens, it will be pretty much impossible to keep him from eating layer if that's what you're feeding. I deal with that by feeding a pullet grower feed instead and never make the switch to layer. Pullet grower is essentially layer feed without the excess calcium, and you can give free choice calcium in the form of crushed oyster shell. The hens self regulate (still haven't had a soft shelled egg) and the boys have all their organs in working order. Be sure to use just pullet grower if you do this, not broiler grower or chick starter, as excess protein is bad for them as well.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom