American serama thread!

Mel has BEAUTIFUL Seramas and is a wonderful person too!

Two of the babies hatched from her eggs:
They are beautiful!!!! I can't wait to fire up that new cabinet after Lima
wee.gif
Thank you for such a nice compliment!!!
love.gif
hugs.gif
I had to cull Patty-one of my first 2 seramas the other day
hit.gif
so your kind words could not have come at a better time. Thank you for your kindness and friendship
smile.png

They are beautiful!!!! I can't wait to fire up that new cabinet after Lima :weee   Thank you for such a nice compliment!!! :love :hugs  I had to cull Patty-one of my first 2 seramas the other day :hit  so your kind words could not have come at a better time. Thank you for your kindness and friendship :)

I am sorry about Patty. It's not easy to make that decision, that's for sure.

I am so excited for you to start setting!

Do you know what color my boy is? Wings look Wheaten with the ticking but color is pretty bold. She looks like frizzle Exchequer!

Last edited:
I am sorry about Patty. It's not easy to make that decision, that's for sure.

I am so excited for you to start setting!

Do you know what color my boy is? Wings look Wheaten with the ticking but color is pretty bold. She looks like frizzle Exchequer!
I am so terrible with chick colors! But I have been throwing some odd looking ones lately. Working on getting them separated in a hatcher and got tiny bands for when I do! Just haven't been super organized or had the strength or energy to do it. The new cabinet will help with that a ton!!!
celebrate.gif
do you remember what was on the eggs they came fom? if you do I can tell you the parents' colors!

I am so terrible with chick colors! But I have been throwing some odd looking ones lately. Working on getting them separated in a hatcher and got tiny bands for when I do! Just haven't been super organized or had the strength or energy to do it. The new cabinet will help with that a ton!!! :celebrate  do you remember what was on the eggs they came fom? if you do I can tell you the parents' colors!

His egg only said 0128. Hers, I destroyed the end.

Gorgeous babies.

I really don't need seramas for the shipping experiment, I could do it with barnyard mixes or anything. Just pushing myself to try the hardest first haha!

I'm really glad to hear I'm not crazy but others have had similar thoughts about evaporation as I have had. It's reassuring.

I have actually heard of this before. There was some discussion about storing eggs in plastic before shipping or setting for that exact reason. That's why the freshest eggs shipped is always better. Smaller air cells and also less deterioration of the membrane. Some people argue that eggs need to breathe and will be suffocated. I've heard people get mad when eggs are completely wrapped in bubble wrap because they think it will kill them. I am inclined to think it's more of a bacteria problem. I would be happy to experiment with you. I raise a lot of birds including seramas.

I have actually heard of this before. There was some discussion about storing eggs in plastic before shipping or setting for that exact reason. That's why the freshest eggs shipped is always better. Smaller air cells and also less deterioration of the membrane. Some people argue that eggs need to breathe and will be suffocated. I've heard people get mad when eggs are completely wrapped in bubble wrap because they think it will kill them. I am inclined to think it's more of a bacteria problem. I would be happy to experiment with you. I raise a lot of birds including seramas.
I have had a discussion about bubble wrapping eggs, but imo it's good to bubble wrap them. It's not air tight and since there's not a embryo the egg doesn't have to breath.

If the eggs are sloppy, muddy, warm, wet etc I think bacteria could be a problem. If you bag a egg and it's hot out of the hen there could be sweating which would make bacteria enter the shell, I think. One of the reasons I'm testing the bloody pullet egg.

I would love to have you join the experiment. Especially since you are west coast and I'm east. Cant get much farther on shipping :)

I have had a discussion about bubble wrapping eggs, but imo it's good to bubble wrap them. It's not air tight and since there's not a embryo the egg doesn't have to breath.

If the eggs are sloppy, muddy, warm, wet etc I think bacteria could be a problem. If you bag a egg and it's hot out of the hen there could be sweating which would make bacteria enter the shell, I think. One of the reasons I'm testing the bloody pullet egg.

I would love to have you join the experiment. Especially since you are west coast and I'm east. Cant get much farther on shipping :)

I find that the most damaged eggs are those that spend the most time on trucks. If I have eggs that I need to clean, I use Tek-trol to clean them. Also, they say you can rinse with hot water to push the bacteria out but cold water will make it absorb.... So perhaps for this experiment, first should be established some type of disinfecting routine?

My girl has started laying again! So I'm going to try and collect a weeks worth of eggs and try it out, too. I'm mulling over storing the eggs in the incubator itself (not running) with a small dish of water to keep the humidity up while still have vents open for air. Minimize water loss in the older eggs so there's a level starting field, so to speak. And see if someone nearby has a couple robust farmyard eggs I can put in at the same time to compare hatch rates.

My girl has started laying again! So I'm going to try and collect a weeks worth of eggs and try it out, too. I'm mulling over storing the eggs in the incubator itself (not running) with a small dish of water to keep the humidity up while still have vents open for air. Minimize water loss in the older eggs so there's a level starting field, so to speak. And see if someone nearby has a couple robust farmyard eggs I can put in at the same time to compare hatch rates.

I use an old cabinet incubator for egg storage. I put cartons of eggs on the shelves and use the Turner to tip them a couple times a day. It helps with keeping the humidity up too since I live in an arid climate.

These little buggers are feathering out faster than I expected. Week and a half biddies.

Though still very slow compared to the quail.
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom