American serama thread!

Yeagin- how is the last chickie doing that you helped out?

So far it's doing ok but it's very small. It was from one of the pullet eggs. It stays under one of the mamas so unless they get up at the same time I don't get a chance to see it. The other chick doesn't want to have anything to do with it. It runs around all over and thinks it's as big as it's mamas and scratches around in the shaving with them...lolol

This morning both mamas were up eating and had thrown shaving where they had been last night. The first one hatched was running around but I didn't see the little one anywhere. My first thought was it was buried under all those shaving, so I started digging around to find it but it wasn't there....finally found it standing under Mayla...lolol

The girls are laying better now and if you're ready for those eggs for your 4H kids, I may have a dozen I could send you by next Tuesday.

I'm a pretty new serama owner (since November), and these are my first babies, hatched by my broody silkie hen, Clover. I can't believe how tiny they are. One in particular is quite tiny. Does their size at this age indicate how big they will be as adults? They are a week old this weekend. Also, how many weeks will I have to wait to see if I have any roosters growing
big_smile.png

chick #1 at 7 days

chick #2 at 7 days.... this is the tiniest of the 4

chick #3 at 6 days

chick #4 at 5 days... this one, I am pretty sure, is my roosters chick, the other 3 came with the hen when I got her

This is # 2 and #4 together.. # 4 is only 5 days old but is still bigger than #2.

on the really tiny one they will be small. But i have had some the same size get big and some stay small. Usually takes me 6 to 8 weeks to tell if a roo or hen. Welcome to seramaism :)

Quote:
I'm a pretty new serama owner (since November), and these are my first babies, hatched by my broody silkie hen, Clover. I can't believe how tiny they are. One in particular is quite tiny. Does their size at this age indicate how big they will be as adults? They are a week old this weekend. Also, how many weeks will I have to wait to see if I have any roosters growing
big_smile.png

chick #1 at 7 days

chick #2 at 7 days.... this is the tiniest of the 4

chick #3 at 6 days

chick #4 at 5 days... this one, I am pretty sure, is my roosters chick, the other 3 came with the hen when I got her

This is # 2 and #4 together.. # 4 is only 5 days old but is still bigger than #2.

Bobby's right. It's the genetics that determines the size when grown. I've had some little cockerels trying to crow at 4/5 weeks. I have to laugh every time I hear them.
gig.gif

Those are some very cute chicks!!
love.gif
Don't ya just love all the different colors.

I hope if I get a roo or two they are the quiet kind. My rooster is LOUD. I have to keep him inside at night. Their little coop is designed to keep the sound from traveling, but you can still hear him 50 yards away. I assume the smaller the rooster the quieter the crow. My roo is pretty big.

I hope if I get a roo or two they are the quiet kind. My rooster is LOUD. I have to keep him inside at night. Their little coop is designed to keep the sound from traveling, but you can still hear him 50 yards away. I assume the smaller the rooster the quieter the crow. My roo is pretty big.

How much does yer roo weigh? I honestly don't know if size changes the volume. AWW just let him sleep with ya at night and you will never need an alarm clock! :lau :oops:
These guys seem to be big mind in a little body....LOL
I have one that has a very loud shrill crow...I always am amazed at how much noise can come out of such a little guy! Best to ask [if he is a shipped bird] or go see what he can do before you purchase....... good luck...... :D

SErama size does not seem to make any difference in the loudness of the crow. Some of mine are very loud and some not but they all crow and like to crow at the same time.

How much does yer roo weigh? I honestly don't know if size changes the volume. AWW just let him sleep with ya at night and you will never need an alarm clock!
lau.gif
hide.gif

These guys seem to be big mind in a little body....LOL
I have one that has a very loud shrill crow...I always am amazed at how much noise can come out of such a little guy! Best to ask [if he is a shipped bird] or go see what he can do before you purchase....... good luck......
big_smile.png

He's about 1 1/2 lb. I listened to him and the other roo's before I picked him out and he didn't seem "that" loud, but I think it was just the openness of where he was kept. But, once he was at my house, his crow seemed magnified 10X
barnie.gif
I took him with us to pick out his girlfriend and even Ray (who I got the hen from) said he had quite a set of pipes on him. I don't expect a "quiet" rooster, but one who's crow doesn't carry so far would be nice, considering we aren't supposed to have roosters
roll.png
I don't think his crow is carries far enough, loud enough, to bother any neighbors from the "box" he is in all day, I just can't let him out
hmm.png
Which is why him and his girlfriend come inside every evening/night and get to roam the house (thank goodness for chicken diapers
big_smile.png
) Thankfully, he doesn't start crowing until around 7am. Goooood Rooster

Back
Top Bottom