American serama thread!

2012 CC Reserve Grand Champion of Show....Homebred, 10 oz. silkied male...my homebred birds also got
Champion Malay Hen, Reserve Champion Silkied Male, and Champion Silkied Hen (Placed 4th in
Best of Show Competition).

I hatched my first ever Serama eggs last week, how much fun it was! And how scary it was! lol..they cost me a fortune! I hatched 11 out of 18 (6 were infertile and 1 didn't develop to hatch).
All 11 are healthy and active!
I was putting them in their new brooder today and noticed the strange feathers on 2 of them that had their wing feathers growing (some are younger and have no feathers yet).
The eggs I got from a breeder were for Frizzled, Silkied, and Normal Serama chicks.

SOooo, I was just curious, do you think these 2 could be Frizzled? Or am I getting my hopes up? lol. I've got Frizzled Cochins, so I have seen them grow..but I am hoping I am right!
Can't tell yet if any are Silkied..maybe soon though.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's a compressed wood stuff that puffs up when it gets wet. I think this particular bag had a horse pictured on the front; I just use whatever brand they have in stock at the feed store. They're all about the same. I do use it for my rabbits, but I saw somebody using it for serama chicks-i think it was Pixie chick actually. It's great so far, as very little bedding is kicked out. It's super absorbent, too.

I like it a lot, far less dusty than shavings, and no smell, as shavings can sometimes have...I seem to have to change it less often than shavings, as well...

Juliette

Back
Top Bottom