Americana rooster

Quote:
I have a pullet with the horn beak, bay eye, slate legs, pea comb, and muffs and beard of an Amacauna, but she is partridge colored, so she is an EE. I think she's pretty.

Quote:
I couldn't have said it better myself, I have black whites and blues, but sometimes I put them all together in the winter and hatch a few for layers and I just love those whatever the h##l you call them, I think people get way to uptight about this subject, I myself have lots of other topics to upset me like the, well I won't get political but you know what I mean. I have subscribed to the americana topic for a long time and have just sat and read but, I had to give you kudoes, I like the way you think

Last edited:
Come spring I'm going to get some more of the New Hampshire Red hens and a couple of NHR roos I think. I like the Barred Rocks too but when you dress them by hand you get black places where the feathers were black that are hard to remove. I'm wondering if the NH Reds wouldn't dress easier because of the lighter colored feathers? I'll sell my Amerucanas (spelling is not my big thing and too lazy to look it up Sorry) I think but I have one I'll definately keep into old age. Honest to Pete, she comes up and squats next to me making a table of her back. I pet her while she sits there and then she gets up and shakes her feathers like she had been with a rooster. What a crazy chicken! Well there you have it. I'm attractive to a chicken. ;-)) I guess we have to take affection where we find it. Strangest thing I've ever seen a chicken do. I also have Hippy Chicken who is beyond worthless. Bantam Silkie and the poor dear is strange. He burrows. For the longest he'd go to a bit of fallen wood at night and dig in. I'd have to go and find him to put him in the house at night. He finally started going into the house but he never roosts, he has a spot of hay on the floor he lays in like sitting in a nest. Fear he's a cock but it is impossible to be sure. He will walk up to my feet and twist his head around till his eye points to the heavens trying to scope me out. One night closing them up I counted one missing chicken. I look all around and found Hippy Chicken inside one of the concrete block steps up into the chicken house. I grabbed his behind and pulled him out to put him to bed. Burrowing into a tunnel again. Are Silkies burrowers?
Hippy Chicken
HippyChicken.jpg

Another Amerucana
20100705_16.jpg

Partridge Bantam Hen. I really like the Partridge Bantam hen too. She lays like there's no tomorrow and I think her look is very neat.
20100712_7.jpg

Rhode Island Red
20100705_6.jpg

Chicken House. This is the house that magge built. I am woman hear me roar! It works pretty well. It is lined with wire to protect from predators. It is put together with screws so I can take the sheathing off to make it easier to move when we find a new place with more land. The chickens go in and out of the yard at will (except Hippy Chicken). They fly up to the wire and hop over to eat bugs & grass then come home to roost at night. Not really good for the wire which isn't stretched real tight to make it easier to roll up and take along when we go but it is great for the chickens. I feed and water them in the yard. The feed container sits under the house which keeps the feed dry. The floor of the house is wire covered with plywood with hay on top to make cleaning easier. I have a metal tray under the roost which also helps with cleaning. The feed isn't contaminated as there is no opening in the floor. There are vents on two sides. One small in front and a larger drop window on the East side that can be closed in winter. It sits under a lot of trees and has a metal roof.
20100515_2-1.jpg

20100502_3-1.jpg

I can't find any shots of the finished nest box which replaces the first attempt on the floor. The new one has legs like furniture and sits in the same place. It is a 6 holer that has three on top of three with a slanting roof. The nest are 12"X12" each and the chickens like it very well.

Thanks for all the kind words. It is nice to get to talk to others about the chickens. They're a lot of fun.

THE END
RhodeIslandRed.jpg
]

Last edited:
Quote:
The red chicken is a red sex-link.

Matt

I've not seen that offered for sale are they called by some other name? The chick was clear yellow and began to sport white wing tips and tail early. Later I saw red show up. Got any links for photos or places that sell them. Big brown eggs are what they lay

Quote:
I couldn't have said it better myself, I have black whites and blues, but sometimes I put them all together in the winter and hatch a few for layers and I just love those whatever the h##l you call them, I think people get way to uptight about this subject, I myself have lots of other topics to upset me like the, well I won't get political but you know what I mean. I have subscribed to the americana topic for a long time and have just sat and read but, I had to give you kudoes, I like the way you think

Now there is something I don't hear everyday....
big_smile.png

Quote:
I've not seen that offered for sale are they called by some other name? The chick was clear yellow and began to sport white wing tips and tail early. Later I saw red show up. Got any links for photos or places that sell them. Big brown eggs are what they lay

Red stars, golden comets, and red sex-links.

Quote:

Red stars, golden comets, and red sex-links.

That last picture is just like one I have that lays the biggest brown eggs every day of the year. She is my most reliable layer. I owuld love to have more of her. I was told she was a production red. I have no idea what she is.

On another subject but still with in this thread. Somebody sent me a message that they have an Ameracauna or an EE for me and they live near Memphis. I PM'd them just to find out that I PM'd myselfm Now I cna'tfind the person. So who ever you are PLEASE PM me again. I am very interested.

Quote:
You know I've noticed that about this one as well. He seems to be less aggressive. It may be he's low man on the totum pole and he watches his Ps & Qs.

Back
Top Bottom