Americauna (I think) and Cream legbar I think- sex???

Americanas are not Ameraucanas, they are Easter Eggers. The name "Americana" is commonly used instead of "Easter Egger" by hatcheries and breeders to make the buyer think they are getting a straightbred Ameraucana. Easter Eggers do not have a standard, so they have no certain appearance.

Your second pullet is not a Cream Legbar, she is a mix.

Americanas are not Ameraucanas, they are Easter Eggers. The name "Americana" is commonly used instead of "Easter Egger" by hatcheries and breeders to make the buyer think they are getting a straightbred Ameraucana. Easter Eggers do not have a standard, so they have no certain appearance.

Your second pullet is not a Cream Legbar, she is a mix.
Interesting. How do you know and what kind? Because she’s the most beautiful and good tempered lady and I love her to pieces.

Do you think they’re both female?

Easter Eggers are hybrid right? Do they all have fluffy cheeks or muffs?
Not always, I'd their directly from an Ameracauna.
Even our bully Americana? I think now from memory that cream legbars are autosexed. And she’s so beautiful. She simply can’t be a roo!
Auto sexing doesn't carry to mixes

Interesting. How do you know and what kind? Because she’s the most beautiful and good tempered lady and I love her to pieces.

Do you think they’re both female?
Your Easter Egger has a short comb, round feathers, and female coloring. Roosters, on the other hand, have a large comb, pointed feathers, and of course male coloring. Both of your chickens on this post are female.

Here is a helpful chart that you can reference when telling the gender of other birds, and here is an article on BYC that is helpful as well.

Screenshot 2023-04-10 at 7.11.16 AM.png

(Note that hens can still grow spurs, though they often will not be as sharp and pointed as those of a rooster's. In a flock without a rooster, the dominant hen will sometimes take over as the "rooster" and start attempting to crow. Hens can even have hormone issues and end up having male feathering. When pullets come into laying age, their comb and waddles largely increase in brightness, though I have noticed the brightness typically goes back down afterward.)

Last edited:
Even our bully Americana? I think now from memory that cream legbars are autosexed. And she’s so beautiful. She simply can’t be a roo!
Sorry, our bully EE, I suppose. I’m not bothered that she’s not pure Americauna and I’ve read this a lot but only now do I fully understand. We wanted Easter Eggers so we are totally fine with it. We love them the same regardless. We are just scared we are going to have to give one up if it’s a rooster
Your Easter Egger has a short comb, round feathers, and female coloring. Roosters, on the other hand, have a large comb, pointed feathers, and of course male coloring. Both of your chickens on this post are female.

Here is a helpful chart that you can reference when telling the gender of other birds, and here is an article on BYC that is helpful as well.

View attachment 3462110
(Note that hens can still grow spurs, though they often will not be as sharp and pointed as those of a rooster's. In a flock without a rooster, the dominant hen will sometimes take over as the "rooster" and start attempting to crow. Hens can even have hormone issues and end up having male feathering.)
thank you!!!

Sorry, our bully EE, I suppose. I’m not bothered that she’s not pure Americauna and I’ve read this a lot but only now do I fully understand. We wanted Easter Eggers so we are totally fine with it. We love them the same regardless. We are just scared we are going to have to give one up if it’s a rooster

thank you!!!
You're welcome! Also, it is usually pullets-not cockerels-who bully their flockmates. Roosters are not in the pecking order, so they do not care about pecking or trying to kill other members of their flock (unless it is another rooster they are challenging). Pecking order fights increase at about six weeks of age, which often make their owners believe that they have a bunch of cockerels. At six weeks and up, my pullets always try to beat each other up.

Back
Top Bottom