Amputated a chicken's leg today

Quote:
I'm sure it didn't feel good but if it hurt she didn't let on - didn't cry out, didn't even squirm or flinch as I held her. No I didn't give her anything for pain. I know they can take aspirin in small quantities but didn't want to give her that prior to amputation because I thought there might be bleeding but there wasn't any of that either. The leg was pretty much dead and has been.

Trust me, this is not something I wanted to do but had to do this or cull her. She had bare skin on her wing she has been using to try and free herself everytime she gets hung up on something - she had bare back because the roosters take advantage of the fact that she's caught on something on the ground and can't move - and once she started losing mobility there's another hen or two that are picking on her so she would stay in hiding behind a cage on the floor, caught in the holes/wires, and wouldn't come out.

I def think you did the right thing and I'm sure her quality of life is going to be better. IBest of luck and good job being so brave.

It's been two weeks and the hen is still alive. She is out in the run with her buddy, and is hopping around, drinking, eating. I guess it's doable even though I should probably be freaking arrested for doing creepy home surgery on an animal. ****** gross. Not my proudest hour but...the hen is alive.

For the record, the hen died about a month after the amputation. I think she was eggbound. I had been wondering how a one-legged hen could hunker down and grunt out an egg...well, she couldn't. She was 1.5 years old, so in her laying prime. Well, lesson learned.

Omg I feel your pain
We had a crrked beaked chicken bird science Easter
Yesterday it passed away
He/she (not sure didn't crow/lay) was the smartest and sweetest bird ever.
Now i can't get it off my ming
and random words trigger me remembering it and it makes me cry.
I feel so sad.

I wish I could have done this for my little quail. But he had 2 bad legs that stuck straight out to the sides, so I had to cull him since he could no longer got to the food or water.
hit.gif

Quote:
I'm so sorry. You did the right thing. If both legs were like this, I would have done the same but she can get around by hopping on one leg especially now that the other one won't be snagging on everything as she goes by. In her case, the toes have always been curled up like that and she could not move them.

Quote:
They were type that look like a giant pair of scissors. I was afraid if I tried to chop with a cleaver or axe I would miss or shatter bone. I wanted something that would cut quick and clean. I'll admit, I closed my eyes as DH made the cut and like I said she didn't squirm or make any sound so I had to open my eyes to see that her foot was not only gone there wasn't any bleeding. I was prepared for squirming, and massive bleeding, and screaming but there was none of that - thank God. I wrapped it up and she started hopping around kitchen floor eating bread.

Quote:
I'm sure it didn't feel good but if it hurt she didn't let on - didn't cry out, didn't even squirm or flinch as I held her. No I didn't give her anything for pain. I know they can take aspirin in small quantities but didn't want to give her that prior to amputation because I thought there might be bleeding but there wasn't any of that either. The leg was pretty much dead and has been.

Trust me, this is not something I wanted to do but had to do this or cull her. She had bare skin on her wing she has been using to try and free herself everytime she gets hung up on something - she had bare back because the roosters take advantage of the fact that she's caught on something on the ground and can't move - and once she started losing mobility there's another hen or two that are picking on her so she would stay in hiding behind a cage on the floor, caught in the holes/wires, and wouldn't come out.

Ruth, you did a great job and I know you only did it because you had to help her. It had to be hard to make the decision, but I think you made the right one!
Great Job!
clap.gif

~Rebecca

Back
Top Bottom