Amputated a chicken's leg today

You're very brave
bow.gif

Here's hoping that all goes well now and that she can sand bathe like the others
smile.png

The weirdest thing about the whole thing is that the leg, while still on the chicken, was dark and discolored and kind of black looking. We cut it off and it got light and flesh colored. The toes didn't uncurl but it looked alive when before it looked dead.

You can see in the first pics of her that the leg is dark, much darker than her good leg. It was almost black when we cut it off, I go to take a picture later and it's flesh colored.

Isn't that really weird????? Now watch me have nightmares about that foot/claw coming after me. O.K. I watched too much Dark Shadows as a kid (showing my age).

I have got to tell you that when I first started reading this my stomach was in knots and my toes even curled up.
ep.gif
Bravo!! Your are awesome to do this for her. I wish I could be so brave.
bow.gif

dunno anything about Dark Shadows, but I'll bet you'll have deformed chickens coming to you from all over to "help."

This is the most amazing and wonderful story I've heard! Sweetie is one lucky clucky! Good for you---and I love the idea of house chickens!
smile.png

I never cease to be amazed by you, Monique. I dont believe I could do it unless it was a dire emergency. I've thought about that for Zane. He's still his sweet, cheerful, talkative self and I dont think I have the heart to put him down unless he himself begins to give up. I hope she recovers from this with flying colors.

You did the right thing to help your poor baby. The way she bounced back is wonderful. Sending chicky get well wishes. Thanks for sharing.
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom