Amputation or no amputation?

JennyG0123

In the Brooder
Jun 21, 2022
One of our girls was attacked night before last. The culprit was not caught. But we suspect a raccoon got ahold of her. She been bitten really bad on her thigh. I’m not sure if the leg is broken or dislocated or if it’s from the bite itself but it’s completely immobile. She doesn’t flinch or anything when touching or cleaning so I’m assuming she’s lost feeling. We are considering amputation because she’s a strong bird and I’m not ready to say goodbye.
So my questions are;
Is the success rate of this worth it to the chicken or is it better to let her go?
How long should I wait to determine if the leg need to be amputated? (Is it best to do it sooner or to wait to see if she starts putting weight back on it?)
What is the best technique to do this?
There’s really not a lot of information or videos out there showing how to do this above the thigh so any advice is appreciated.
I also want to say I don’t want her to suffer. If the best thing to do is say goodbye then I will.

Even IF an amputation this traumatic were to be successful, her chances of survival with the next predator attack, on one leg instead of two, are somewhere above zero%. If it were my chicken, I'd probably just cull her humanely. I've had to do it a few times, even to favorites. But if you choose to give her a chance, then just do the best first aid you can do, treat with antibiotics, and keep her warm and confined until you see if it's healing or not. The animal kingdom amazes me sometimes, with their ability to recover against all odds.

I'm reminded of the story of Mike, the "headless chicken", who survived a failed attempt by his owner to behead him for dinner.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_the_Headless_Chicken
1655843899216.png

Can you see a vet?
I called my local vet yesterday morning. I explained this situation and told him what I was doing to treat it. He said everything I was doing to treat it sounded good but didn’t give me any sort of time frame of how long I should wait to see if it’s getting better.
Is it better to do it right way so it can start to heel and recover or is it better to wait and see what happens. And how long should I wait? If I wait to long is that going to cause more trauma then needed?

I think my biggest concern is I just don’t want her to suffer or be in pain. She doesn’t seem to be in any pain right now, but she’s a chicken so is she even aware this had happened?

I’ve seen a lot of success stories online about 1 legged chickens but not sure what the surviving odds are. If the odds are higher in our favor. If she can live and have a healthy life I’d love to save her. If not and there against us. If it’s going to be traumatizing and kill her anyways id rather not loose her that way.

There’s just so much unknown.

Back
Top Bottom