An effort to raise healthy birds is required

Does she still walk and associate with the flock? Or does she self isolate?
She is mobile but only slightly. She can associate with the 4 other ladies, which used to attack but now tolerate. I had brought in a new chick to be with her and even though there is 6 weeks or so between them, they have bonded. So I don't think the handicapped hen will be alone. I did take her to the vet to see if resetting her leg would work but the vet felt is wasn't worth putting her through it and that she may learn to walk on the leg one day.

To the OP -

I don't offer feed 24/7. I think that draws rodents. And chickens can waste a lot of feed in that situation, billing it out, and refusing to clean it up. IMO no animal eats 24/7. I put out clean water and feed each day. If there is feed left over, I feed a little less. If the feed bowl is empty, I feed a little more.

But I do feed in several places in the run. Places where a bird eating cannot see a bird eating at another place.

I do have a totally enclosed chain link fence. It is the only thing that keeps the coons out at night. That has helped considerably. And the run is large 600 square feet for less than a dozen birds. I think it was Shadrock that said exercise is important - so my run has a lot of junk and clutter in it. Birds can move away from each other. Fly up on things.

I do not treat birds for sickness. I have only had one bird that was sick, and I dispatched it.

I don't clean each day, but rather muck out when needed.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom