an egg broke inside my silkie hen!

If you're going with antibiotics, be sure to do a full course, not just a single dose. If she's got infection brewing, she'll need all the help she can get and you don't want to merely weaken an infection so that it can come back resistant to the drugs, you want the infection, dead, dead, dead.

This was my number one question^^^.

I've had a hen in the past with a similar situation and I tried my best to help her- but by the time I got her out of the coop, the other birds made it worse.
If this hadn't happened... my help may have worked.

I put Vaseline around the hen's vent, and tried to remove any egg shell I could find. I gave her oyster shell for calcium- by putting it in her water. You can also add ACV to her water as a natural electrolyte.
I didn't feed her eggs, but regret it. I would scramble up 2 eggs and give her this as a zoom.
It's tricky... but you can try the best you can by being gentle with her. Try to keep her on her feet, massage delicately her crop and beneath her legs, etc..

Make sure she's drinking- she needs that water. I wish I could be of more help... but I pray she'll be okay!
ok, I gave her a long epsom salt soak, and massaged her abdomen nearly the whole time. I can feel the broken egg in her. All I was able to get her to pass was a large piece of membrane. With massaging, I was able to get the egg up to her pelvic bones, but she cannot seem to pass it. She is in the warm house with scrambled egg, but she is not very interested in it, and will only nibble if I hold it up to her... I definitely was going to do a full treatment if I use penicillin

Hey Flock! I found my silkie hen hunched up in the coop, and sure enough egg is running out her backside... Epsom salt bath first right? I have pencilin, but I’m not sure if that would help. Should I scramble her an egg? Should I reach inside of her to try and retrieve pieces of eggshell? I got suspicious when she slept in the beatbox last night, but so were the other hens, and so I didn’t suspect anything at the time... she does that a lot.

Hey Flock! I found my silkie hen hunched up in the coop, and sure enough egg is running out her backside... Epsom salt bath first right? I have pencilin, but I’m not sure if that would help. Should I scramble her an egg? Should I reach inside of her to try and retrieve pieces of eggshell? I got suspicious when she slept in the beatbox last night, but so were the other hens, and so I didn’t suspect anything at the time... she does that a lot.

I think I’ll administer some penicillin

ok, I gave her a long epsom salt soak, and massaged her abdomen nearly the whole time. I can feel the broken egg in her. All I was able to get her to pass was a large piece of membrane. With massaging, I was able to get the egg up to her pelvic bones, but she cannot seem to pass it. She is in the warm house with scrambled egg, but she is not very interested in it, and will only nibble if I hold it up to her... I definitely was going to do a full treatment if I use penicillin
It's a membrane instead of hard egg shell? Let us know, if it's hard egg shell, then you will need to be very careful, the broken shell can cut her oviduct.

I would soak her again, massage gently, pulled toward the vent if it's a soft shell egg.

IF, IF ----- it's a soft shell egg I would get Calcium into her - do you have any Caltrate or Tums? Give either one. Calcium can help with contractions. I would not worry with food right now unless she's really wanting to eat. She does need to be hydrated though.

I agree, Penicillin would not be my first choice for a broken egg. If you have a Tractor Supply that carries Fish Mox (Amoxicillin) I would use that instead. Tell us if you have any other antibiotics on hand, there may be something else you can use that's even better. A vet can give you better meds so if that's an option think about it.

Penicillin is probably won't help much, for this you would want to use something much stronger. Is a vet an option?
Unfortunately the chickens are my deal, and I don’t have the money for a vet, even if there was a one that would take poultry.
Prayers the pieces can cut her insides up if left alone but if you can’t get them out safely a vet is your option. We just lost our baby SILKIE to the same issue she passed a day later.
:hit

It's a membrane instead of hard egg shell? Let us know, if it's hard egg shell, then you will need to be very careful, the broken shell can cut her oviduct.

I would soak her again, massage gently, pulled toward the vent if it's a soft shell egg.

IF, IF ----- it's a soft shell egg I would get Calcium into her - do you have any Caltrate or Tums? Give either one. Calcium can help with contractions. I would not worry with food right now unless she's really wanting to eat. She does need to be hydrated though.

I agree, Penicillin would not be my first choice for a broken egg. If you have a Tractor Supply that carries Fish Mox (Amoxicillin) I would use that instead. Tell us if you have any other antibiotics on hand, there may be something else you can use that's even better. A vet can give you better meds so if that's an option think about it.
it is definitely a hard shell, I can feel the broken shell in her abdomen. I already checked the feed store, and they don’t have the Amoxicillin.. no tractor supply

it is definitely a hard shell, I can feel the broken shell in her abdomen.
You could try to manually remove the shell by gently inserting your finger and try to find the entrance to her oviduct. Once in, manually remove the shell.

Back
Top Bottom