Anabiotic's

Toothless

In the Brooder
Feb 25, 2016
I'm confused of exactly how much to give my duck

He is about 3-1/2lbs

Someone recommended this brand though powder form and having a two-year-old running around the store I got too distracted and didn't realize I bought the injection .... Ah!

@Toothless, I did a quick search and it looks to me like the dose for a 3.5 pound chicken is about 0.4 ml once a day. This antibiotic can cause severe injection site necrosis, so it might be better to give it subcutaneously (under skin) than IM (in muscle).

Disclaimer - I have no medical training. Dose was found by searching for oxytetracyline and avian medicine then doing a little math. A common dose was about 50mg/kg and your oxytetracyline is 200 mg/ml, so 3.5 pounds divided by 2.2, times 50 mg per kilogram, divide by 200 mg per ml = ~0.4 ml.

3.5 / 2.2 x 50 / 200 = ~0.4 ml

-Kathy

Could you share the reason you want to give antibiotics?

@casportony may be able to help. I cannot get the tag to work so you will need to PM her or tag her by typing the @ and her name - it should turn blue. It does not work from this device.

Could you share the reason you want to give antibiotics?

@ casportonymay be able to help. I cannot get the tag to work so you will need to PM her or tag her by typing the @ and her name - it should turn blue. It does not work from this device.

Dog bite and foot is infected

Thanks so much

Update: Cuddles the duck is doing SO MUCH better!!!!! He is talking when I walk in to check on him, more "lively" foot is looking much better and no more "blisters"! He still can't walk on his leg, and I think the bone is broken or maybe torn ligament and tendons. Not sure. But the color is coming back in his leg and foot etc after meds!

Thanks so much

Update: Cuddles the duck is doing SO MUCH better!!!!! He is talking when I walk in to check on him, more "lively" foot is looking much better and no more "blisters"! He still can't walk on his leg, and I think the bone is broken or maybe torn ligament and tendons. Not sure. But the color is coming back in his leg and foot etc after meds!
Great news!!

is he still going to the vet today?

Great news!!

is he still going to the vet today?

Yes Mr. duck aka cuddles, was very popular at the vet office today!!! Lol even got some crackers and water ! Lol The vet did give him pain medicine that would last about 24 hours, she said I can come back every other or every two days if needed. she kept me on the anabiotic I got from TSC, do .2cc every day for the next 10 days . She said I've been doing a really good job he looks over all really healthy , she's not sure if it's broken or if the infection inflamed his joint and just got a very stiff leg . To give him a warm bath with Epsom salt in it and allow him to soak twice a day to get him to move his leg.

Over all a great visit.

She said there wasn't enough breastmeat so to put the injection on his thigh and alternate legs!

Back
Top Bottom