Ancona Duck eggs

thebirdguy

Songster
Nov 22, 2010
Idaho Falls

I have Pasture raised Ancona duck eggs for sale.. Our ducks are descendants of original Holderread Waterfowl Farm & Preservation Center stock. These are pretty quiet birds and have been lots of fun. We have a mixed flock and you could get Chocolate, Black, Silver, Lavendar, Blue, Lilac, Rust, or Tri-color.. I have both cream/white and green egg layers.

$15 for a 6 Quack or $25 for a 12 Quack plus priority shipping. I can ship Monday thru Friday and process purchases in the order received.. If you prefer a certain date for shipping that can be arranged.

We all know the PO handling disclaimer so I won't waste space here.. I ship fresh, fertile & well packaged eggs with all the good hatching vibes I can fit in the box!!

Here's some info on the breed....

The Ancona averages 6 to 6.5 pounds and is a bit stockier than its close relative, the Magpie duck. It has a medium sized oval head, a medium-length bill that is slightly concave along the top line, an average neck that arches forward slightly and body carriage is 20 to 30 degrees above horizontal. The broken, mottled plumage is unique among ducks for, like Holstein cattle, there is no set design. "Any combination of white and color is acceptable as long as there are obvious broken areas on the head, backs, sides, and underbody." The neck is normally solid white, bills are yellow with dark green or black spotting, and the legs and feet are orange with black or brown markings that increase with age. (Holderread 2001, 53) Varieties include Black and White, Blue and White, Chocolate and White, Silver and White, Lavender and White, and Tricolored. Chocolate is a sex-linked recessive trait. If a chocolate drake mates with a black duck, all female offspring will be chocolate, while all male offspring will be black. A black drake mated to a chocolate duck produces all black offspring. Only male offspring will carry the sex-linked recessive chocolate gene. (Holderread 1985, 4)
The Ancona is a hardy, adaptable, all-purpose duck. It is an excellent layer, typically laying 210-280 white, cream, or blue eggs yearly. The Ancona also grows relatively quickly, and produces high quality meat that is more flavorful and less fatty than that of most Pekin ducks. Anconas are well suited for situations where they can forage for some of their food. "They make excellent pond or yard ducks since they tend to stay close to home, do not fly under normal conditions and are large enough so that they are less likely to be preyed upon by winged predators. Typically they have moderately calm temperaments and make fine pets." (Holderread 2001, 52)

Last edited:
I currently have Khaki's but finding they are way too high strung for me. Are the Ancona's calm enough not to run screaming at the sight of me?
Also what is their egg laying habit like? My Khaki's will lay their eggs anywhere unlike my Muscovy who lay in the nest boxes like my chickens.

Last edited:
I currently have Khaki's but finding they are way too high strung for me. Are the Ancona's calm enough not to run screaming at the sight of me?
Also what is their egg laying habit like? My Khaki's will lay their eggs anywhere unlike my Muscovy who lay in the nest boxes like my chickens.
the anconas are very mellow... I really like them.. I have mine free ranging in a large run in the pasture (only put them in the run so I didn't have an egg hunt every day LOL) they typically lay in 2 "nest" depressions they have built.. I have not attempted nest boxes but they do lay in the same spots for the most part.

the anconas are very mellow... I really like them.. I have mine free ranging in a large run in the pasture (only put them in the run so I didn't have an egg hunt every day LOL) they typically lay in 2 "nest" depressions they have built.. I have not attempted nest boxes but they do lay in the same spots for the most part.

Yes, the egg hunt has caused me to leave the Khaki's locked up later in the morning otherwise I lose all the eggs to crows.

What would shipping for a dozen eggs be to 98223? Love that you have such a multi-colored flock, very interested in eggs (just need to figure out how to sneak them into the house w/o my hubby noticing.....)

I may be interested in a few eggs. Do you ship to Oregon? And how much is shipping on a dozen eggs?

Also, can Ancona also have spotted black and green markings?

Thanks,
Kat

I too raise anconas. Wuld you be interested in trading eggs? Mine come from worth it farms and celtic farms. They are far enough fom holderreads to really not be his strain anymore.

Back
Top Bottom