Ancona Ducks in Maine/New Hampshire

m.kitchengirl

Songster
8 Years
Jun 4, 2011
Maine
Does anyone know of Ancona breeders in Southern Maine (within 1 hour or so from Portland) or New Hampshire's seacoast region that breeds Ancona ducks?
I tried hatching my own (as of today they are 3 weeks past the hatch date & still wiggling) without success. I want a breeding trio, but would prefer to raise them from ducklings. Would have ordered from Stromberg or Holderead, but thought I had 9 on their way. I am VERY sad. I love these little quackers & want to see them running the backyard, rooting in the garden, splashing & doing their ducky thing. My backyard seems so empty without them.

I'm in N. Central MA on the NH line, south of Keene. I have 20 Ancona eggs in the bator due to hatch Aug 9. No way can I keep them all
smile.png
if you didn't want to come all the way out here, we could meet up in Nashua or something. However - I'm hopeless at sexing!

I'm in N. Central MA on the NH line, south of Keene. I have 20 Ancona eggs in the bator due to hatch Aug 9. No way can I keep them all smile if you didn't want to come all the way out here, we could meet up in Nashua or something. However - I'm hopeless at sexing!

Kim, that sounds great! Nashua would definitely be easier as my boys want to make a trip to eastern boarder anyhow very soon.
And, August 12th is my birthday!

I'll PM you with more details?​

I am partway there!

Got three 9 week old baby girl Anconas today. (At least, that's what we were told. But, my experience with chickens tells me, they could all be drakes, too!)

Now just need to find counterparts from another line. Hopefully, thanks to BYC, that is in the works.

Thanks so much BYCers. What a great tool this has proven to be.

94687_img_0409.jpg

94687_img_0410.jpg

These are the oldest birds I've adopted. Advice is welcome! Bring it on!

(I do have a real coop, but it is pouring cats & dogs out there & cold & I want to keep them in the kitchen with me until they are less petrified. Good thing the man in my life is out of town this weekend! Ducks in the kitchen? Would not fly if he were here! Our little secret, right folks?)

Gorgeous!!! I love the speckly parts down their backs! They look a bit younger than 9 weeks to me though - closer to 3 or 4 weeks!

Here are mine at 5 weeks for comparison:
4750014151_b0e7bc4620_b.jpg

The white ones in the background are 9 weeks in this pic tho!

Last edited:

they did to me, too. the owners where i got them seemed less informed than i have come to expect poultry people to be (maybe BYCers are more informed). i think i taught them some things about ducks.
smile.png
the others here are right, Kim, your ducks are gorgeous.

Those are very pretty!! I LOVE anconas. I agree about the age. When they do get to be four or five weeks old, you can tell if they're girls by their quack. If they sound deep and, well, "quacky," you'll know you've got girls. If they're still peeping at five weeks, or getting a hoarse raspy sorta quackish sound, then they're probably boys.

We were just up in Maine for vacation. SO BEAUTIFUL. If it weren't for your darn winters, we'd move in a heartbeat. Congrats on your babies. They're gorgeous.

We were just up in Maine for vacation. SO BEAUTIFUL. If it weren't for your darn winters, we'd move in a heartbeat. Congrats on your babies. They're gorgeous.

Thanks, I wish I had something to do with their looks.
wink.png
I'm in love. We're hanging out staying warm by the oven today (like Wilbur) in the kitchen. The people I got them from seemed like they didn't like animals (maybe it was the 10 year old who WOULD NOT STOP talking about how much she hated their animals, or the Mom, who said, "they're disgusting," as an introduction to my wee ones, "I thought they would be fun & hatching would be cool, but it was disgusting, too". I think a few days with us, treats & quiet songs will help soothe them. Poor little things.

I'm listening. So far, the one with the black beak is a definite "quacker", although she still peeps some & the other 2 are smaller, i suppose by the end of this week I should know for sure.

I love Charlotte. You all have much more pleasant ocean to swim in than we do, and lovely spring time too. Snow shoeing & knitting, the only way to get through the winters up here.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom