And...we're down to one...

Mar 5, 2019
My boyfriend and I bought a house 3 years ago, and it came with 4 chickens and a coop. We have loved and adored, cared for and tried to pamper our girls, who have become our pets. A while back, raccoons broke in and took out half of our flock. We were heartbroken, but 2 survived, and we carried on. The 2 survivors eventually returned to normal behavior and became absolutely inseparable. We noticed that they were more bonded to us when there was just two of us. We chalked it up to their social nature.

Last night, a raccoon broke in to the coop and massacred 1 of our 2 remaining. Devastated, now we're down to one lonely girl. We're worried. We can't stand the idea of our sole Rhode Island Red being alone. We're throwing around ideas...what should do we do?

We really want to build a new raccoon-proof, easy to clean coop before we could *maybe* raise some new chicks. But we're also expecting a baby very soon, and so the new coop could be a while. When she was in a flock, she was always lowest in the pecking order, so finding her to an existing flock doesn't seem like the best way to go. Advice for our lonely girl?

So sorry for your losses :hugs
Chickens are flock animals, and really should be kept with other chickens. Even if you were to get chicks right now, it might be a couple months until they are old enough to live with her (depending on how aggressive she is towards them). I would try looking on Craigslist for any hens/pullets that you could buy, even so she just has one friend. This way, she won't be thrown into a fully developed flock and social order. She will also have the advantage of it being her territory. If you still want to get chicks later, when you have more free time, that could work out, too. Best of luck to you!

I once had RIR hens and they are so sweet. Which to me is so odd considering the Roos are mean. I love these hens but they know how to pull hard on your heart strings don’t they? That being said, I agree about hardware cloth for added safety and go buy her a pullet. That is 8-12 weeks old. This gives her instant leader status and also something to keep her busy and back on the rd to normal routine. Really try to get a RIR. So, good luck with your newest family member(s) coming, and relax, get her a buddy so you no longer worry so you can start nesting yourself!

Btw, Tractor Supply Company, if you have one, carries coon traps pretty cheap... catch it and call your local wildlife to come get it. It will take a while for another to come around.

My boyfriend and I bought a house 3 years ago, and it came with 4 chickens and a coop. We have loved and adored, cared for and tried to pamper our girls, who have become our pets. A while back, raccoons broke in and took out half of our flock. We were heartbroken, but 2 survived, and we carried on. The 2 survivors eventually returned to normal behavior and became absolutely inseparable. We noticed that they were more bonded to us when there was just two of us. We chalked it up to their social nature.

Last night, a raccoon broke in to the coop and massacred 1 of our 2 remaining. Devastated, now we're down to one lonely girl. We're worried. We can't stand the idea of our sole Rhode Island Red being alone. We're throwing around ideas...what should do we do?

We really want to build a new raccoon-proof, easy to clean coop before we could *maybe* raise some new chicks. But we're also expecting a baby very soon, and so the new coop could be a while. When she was in a flock, she was always lowest in the pecking order, so finding her to an existing flock doesn't seem like the best way to go. Advice for our lonely girl?
Hi! I am in Northeast Seattle by Nathan Hale High School. I see you posted this back in March, but I wanted to reply anyway. We had a similar problem here. We have had chickens since 2012, neighbor started feeding raccoons two doors down three years ago. Raccoons have killed four of our girls and now we are down to one. My 86 yo mother lives with me and my kids, and these were HER girls. Gave her something to do. I love having chickens but am scared to death to get more. I don't have the time or funds to build a coop that would be big enough and will also protect the girls. Have you decided on what you're going to do? I'd love to know as it may help us with our decision. Thanks! Deb

20190623_103654.jpg

This is how I deal with coons..
Dead coons can't break into my coop..
Predator proof your coop and get another hen for your lonely hen..

Back
Top Bottom