Angie, how does your garden grow?

AngieChick

Poultry Elitist
11 Years
Jun 18, 2008
Willamette Valley, OR
We have spent the past 2 weekends (and me a few days in between) moving compost from the bottom of a hill up to the garden beds. Initially, we had 5 cubic yards delivered for it, but after an hour or so, we looked at it and realized that it wasn't nearly enough. It ended up taking 15 cubic yards of compost. Wet, rainy soggy heavy compost. The cinder block that are used for the terracing are some kind of "green" composite - concrete covered wood chips. They were used to make an elaborate structure to house their wood pile. There are still some piles of broken pieces that will be broken down even more to use in the center pathway (yay for sledgehammers!). Today DH got the deer fencing up, I still have to make the gates. I put layers of newspaper and brown cardboard boxes right over the weeds/grass that was growing in this spot. The terracing makes them deep enough to have a nice layer of compost on top to keep the plants happy until the paper breaks down. It's a great, lazy method of putting in a new bed that I have used a number of times in the past - just never at this scale.

My cool season crops are started in the greenhouse and will go in tomorrow. The size ended up being 70ft x 40 ft. I initially had 30x50 planned, but got a little greedy
wink.png

It's still a bit of a construction zone, but it's shaping up:

12104_garden1.jpg

Anyone one else have any veggie patch pictures to post? I love seeing how other's have theirs set up.

Last edited:
Wow, you've got a great setup there. A wonderful way to use a slop. I'll get some pictures on mine tomorrow. I have to go to town today (San Luis Obispo). I have four beds. A few things planted but need to get those seeds in the ground. Thanks for sharing.
thumbsup.gif

I like the use of the cinder blocks! You can even plant IN the cinder blocks.... Good job!!
thumbsup.gif

Thanks! This is the first time that I've had this much space to work with. My mother even made the ridiculous recommendation that I pace myself and choose whether to put in the flower garden this year or the veggies. She told me that not everything has to be done the first year. Silly Mommy.

Red, I am putting marigolds, onions and anything else that strikes my fancy in them. I'm trying to use them as a buffer to keep the worst pests away. Plus, I just couldn't resist them, they were empty space after all
wink.png

I love it and I envy you. Somehow gardening keeps getting moved to the bottom of my to-do list, even though it's something I thoroughly enjoy.

I have ordered A garden patch container garden this year. I have fibromyalgia and regular gardening is more than I can handle. I love to garden and I hope this is the answer for me. The web site is agardenpatch.com. Your garden looks great!

Micah

Back
Top Bottom