Angry rooster HELPPPPP

Guessing from your name, mummyof4, I assume you have kids? It really isn't safe at all to ever keep an aggressive cockerel around children.

Yes although my name should be mummyof5 now:lau
Only my oldest (7 year old) is allowed in the coops (we have a separate quail coop/run, although she hasn’t been allowed in since he first started attacking. She’s quite happy sticking with the quail for now

We hatched 7 girls and 2 boys so got an ok deal.
Whoa... lucky indeed!
I'd still isolate asap, and then get rid of, the aggressive male.

FYI.....semantics, maybe, but can be important communication terms when discussing chicken behavior.
Female chickens are called pullets until one year of age, then they are called hens.
Male chickens are called cockerels until one year of age, then they are called cocks(or cockbirds or roosters).
Age in weeks or months is always a good thing to note.

The aggressive cockerel is NOT worth keeping or trying to curb the behavior. They are wired one way or the other it seems. With kids - you have zero reason to keep this male.

So, you can use this as a learning experience with kids. My youngest has always been interested in physiology and has never been squeamish, so at 7 yo would have been interested in seeing the insides of a bird or watching/ helping to prep for dinner. However, this is not true of all kids.

Or you can re-home to someone willing to take him, but being so aggressive would not be good to not inform them of this.

Good Luck.

Back
Top Bottom