Animal attack after care

MasterofNone

Songster
Mar 29, 2022
West Michigan
Hi all, our flock had an unfortunate incident with predators night before last, due to an electronic pop-door malfunction. Owl, we think. And maybe some other opportunistic animal like coyotes may have gotten involved, as the birds scattered in a half mile radius like a bomb went off. Fortunately we arrived before true tragedy struck, but a few birds were injured.

One 11 month old australorp has a deep gash above her tail and lost a few layers of skin just behind her comb. Her injury is the most severe, or at least it would seem to be. We cleaned it of feathers and debris, rinsed well with saline and liberally sprayed her wounds with Vetericyn. Have repeated the spray 3x/day since and she is doing really well. Wound looks good, she is on her feet, eating, drinking and sassy as ever.

The other, an orpington (1year old), got some cuts on her leg. It bled a lot initially but was clotted by the time we located her in the dark pasture. Initially I rinsed the leg fast and put hen heal on it. Then had to go search for the other 17 chickens. The next morning it was swelling but looked ok. I gave her an epson bath to get the blood off and try to draw out the ick. Then liberally sprayed vetericyn. We are cleaned her leg again and use vetericyn 3x/day for her too.

Both are isolated seperately now. Though yesterday they had been together (we have a shortage of isolation areas with the main on housing a chick brooder atm). We scrambled to get a new "infirmary" set up, as the australorp was bullying the orpington apparently. No new wounds but the Orp was just laying there not moving, eating, etc. The infirmaries are large dog crates with paper lining and pine chip bedding. We are feeding their usual Layer feed pellets with some chick crumble that accidentally was mixed in during the chaos. But I figured a little higher protein shouldn't hurt temporarily. We have added rooster booster to their feed, given scrambled eggs, and have electrolyte/acidifier solution in their water.

Today the orpington is not looking great. Her leg is massively swollen (not surprising) but its very pale with a bluish tinge in places (quite possibly from that blue Hen Heal ointment we initially used, but still...eek) She seems to be alert, if very lazy. She eats if her food and water are right in front of her beak, but it clearly hurts her to stand, so she doesn't bother much. Her comb and wattle are bright red and healthy looking though. That leg is just so pale and swollen, and she seems a bit depressed to me, so I can't help but worry.

She is the reason I am starting this thread.We have no internal antibiotics right now. And we can't justify an emergency trip to the vet for her. But she is a sweet young hen that we would hate to lose, so if she wants to heal then we will do our best to help her. Here are my burning questions/concerns... If anyone has wisdom to share we would appreciate it.

1. Should we order an antibiotic powder? I can't find Tylan/tylosin but can get Amoxityl. A cursory overview seems like its appropriate for this and should be effective. Even if she doesn't need it, I am thinking it might be a good addition to the first aid kit for the future. Opinions? Better suggestions? Warnings? Better antibiotics for this?

2. Should we try to get her up more? She is laying on that leg and its staying very moist. I am concerned that might invite infection. I just don't know the best course for her. We could fashion a little sling for her if that would be better.

3. Any other things we missed or can improve in their treatment?

Finally, the rest of the flock had a big trauma, so we confined them to their smaller run (still plenty big for them all). There are tons of feather all around the yard - seriously, its a miracle that none died! But there are a few nearly bare butts out there. Should we have a heat lamp on for them overnight (its still heavy frost)? We added electrolytes to the whole flocks water for now and they are mostly acting normal, if a little subdued.

Thanks to anyone who has suggestions or even read all that. Sorry to write a novel. 😳 I didn't take pics because we didn't think of it, but I can try to get some shots next time we apply the spray if that would help.

Doh! I should also have asked it we should bandage the leg or leave it open to the air? Its not bleeding and there are no overt signs of infection, unless that blue tinge here and there aren't actually the blue ointment.

Good news. For our midday treatment, the orpington Lucky's leg looked so much better. What a difference a few hours make. She is still going to need time and care for sure, but the nasty way that leg looked this morning has improved a lot relative to what it was. The swelling has gone way down. Whew!

I still would love to know if you have any input, but it really bolstered my hope for her. Here's a pic from the last treatment. 20230327_192605.jpg Hope its visible. My phone was dying so I had to hurry.

Also, here is Betty's back wound. I didn't get a shot of her head but its really just blue from the ointment right now anyway. She probably should have stitches, but... 😬 I am afraid of doing more harm than good. 20230327_192347.jpg

Betty went and laid an egg today too! And is standing at the door of her crate like she's waiting for her discharge papers already. Crazy tough bird.

Just because..
20230327_212837.jpg
The fabric is a little 'sling' I had made for Lucky, but she apparently really loves her epsom salt soak (And the leg really showed it afterwards). This was her enjoying her 'spa treatment'. I had her up in the sling but she was so relaxed and happy, I finally let her just enjoy. ;) I guess it feels good with as sore as that leg is.

The last hen we did an epsom soak on for bumblefoot barely tolerated it. Lucky basks in it.

The look is for the black oil sunflower seed treats she had just been rewarded with. Greedy thing.

Good news. Both Betty and Lucky are doing great. Lucky is still limping a bit but is starting to scratch around in her enclosure a bit. No eggs yet, but thats ok. Recovery takes time.

Betty, the austrolorp, is fed up with her confinement, and tries to run away every time we open the gate. She has laid 5 eggs since the incident last week and she answers her rooster every time she hears him crow. Makes me feel kinda bad keeping her cooped up, but her back is still so open and raw I am afraid a single peck could really damage her healing. So she is stuck at least until the wound is healed over, if not refeathered.

The rest of the flock is open-ranging again and all are doing well. Even our little wyandotte who lost all her tail feathers and is wandering around with a bare bottom seems to be doing just fine. Nobody is picking on her, especially now that they have total freedom to roam again.

Last night at dusk I saw that owl fly into a treetop near our coop and just sit there, so we are trying to round everyone up in their covered run before the sun starts to get too low. Good thing they associate me with food. :)

Back
Top Bottom