Animals scares chickens and takes eggs

Sether55

In the Brooder
Mar 23, 2016
I was late tonight shutting chickens up so when I went out I had a hen and my only rooster for this breed missing. I was so scared and about ready to collect eggs to hatch and hoping get a rooster. Well before I did I looked for feathers and a trail. My rooster was outside of the coop and looked flustered. A bloody scab on his comb and then I found the hend too alive and flustered. There was a broken egg outside of the coop door which was strange and I go inside and there are no eggs. Just under my broody hen. Then I go to my other breeds pen in the same coop and no eggs either unless a hen was on them. But what was weird was three eggs were on the ground and to the side of the pen. That's never happened before. If it's a snake. How do I even catch it. Also both are raised pretty well off the ground. And doesn't eat them right away.

Could be a possum or a raccoon, but raccoons usually go for the birds... I suggest collecting eggs early or frequently and locking up the chickens as soon as it starts getting dark... set out live traps and see what you catch... minnow traps arou d the coop with a couple eggs in them will catch snakes, but I think you've got a 4 legged varmit running around...

The original poster did not mention where they live, as to either general location or their neighborhood, but the general nature of what was found does not sound like any 4 legged animal I can think of. It does sound like a two legged kind. What that sounds like to me are young kids horsing around, and maybe 2 or 3 of them. They are quite capable of such mischief.

Sounds like a human to me.
Snake wouldn't hit every nest in one night.
Possum or coon would have gotten eggs on the nest and a hen or two as well.
We're the coop doors locked?

I think Howard nailed it. A snake eats a few eggs leaving no trace and goes away for a few days to digest them before it comes back. That’s not a snake. I’ve had too many snake problems. It sounds like you have pens that were closed. Four-legged critters aren’t likely to get in them. Four-legged critters don’t scatter eggs like that. Four-legged critters have no respect for a broody hen and her eggs, they’d be gone too. I think a padlock on the door may be a real good idea.

If you can set up a game camera where it won’t get stolen you might have something to show their parents, if you so desire.

I agree with all of the above posters even if I am a newbie. I think the key clue is that eggs under your broody hens were not bothered. To me that screams that your intruder was human and not animal. Unfortunately yeah, sounds like a human who did not want to be flogged by a broody. As strange as it sounds (to me anyway) it seems these days there are lots of incidents of humans stealing eggs, chickens and just generally being a nuisance. Kids would just think it was funny. :(

Back
Top Bottom