Another breed ID

Aug 2, 2019
Here's a new one to add to our other 6. We were looking for 2, called and they said they had 4 and when we got there, there were 5. 2 or 5 added to 6 with 2 brooding, what could go wrong? My DH went and picked them up. I thought 1 was a Pekin, not sure it isn't but my other 6 are Pekins. None of them had any other color except yellow. Best picture I could get because they are still huddling and walking in a group every time I get close to them. We named him/her Tangerine. Tang has brown feathers on head and back. The tail feathers are so cute... just long white fluff. So... Do I have a Pekin, a Pekin mix or???? Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_20230504_124048752.jpg
    IMG_20230504_124048752.jpg
    358.8 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20230504_124054151.jpg
    IMG_20230504_124054151.jpg
    291.4 KB · Views: 6
Forgot to say Tang is about 2 days old in the picture. Here's the other 4 that I got.

Attachments

• IMG_20230504_123917685.jpg
    IMG_20230504_123917685.jpg
    307.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20230504_123923781.jpg
    IMG_20230504_123923781.jpg
    351.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20230504_123948537.jpg
    IMG_20230504_123948537.jpg
    407.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20230504_123954441.jpg
    IMG_20230504_123954441.jpg
    375.3 KB · Views: 6
Here's a new one to add to our other 6. We were looking for 2, called and they said they had 4 and when we got there, there were 5. 2 or 5 added to 6 with 2 brooding, what could go wrong? My DH went and picked them up. I thought 1 was a Pekin, not sure it isn't but my other 6 are Pekins. None of them had any other color except yellow. Best picture I could get because they are still huddling and walking in a group every time I get close to them. We named him/her Tangerine. Tang has brown feathers on head and back. The tail feathers are so cute... just long white fluff. So... Do I have a Pekin, a Pekin mix or???? Any ideas?
Could you have a Fawn and White Runner? does this little one stand up tall or does it stand like the Pekins?

Could you have a Fawn and White Runner? does this little one stand up tall or does it stand like the Pekins?
I have seen Tang standing tall when he was running. Sure is a skinny one.
Very possible that's my answer. I had thought a Runner before because he (he is he/she) seemed to stand really tall when he stretched out. I said that's one tall glass of water. I have been watching him closely today and he tries and he will go a little way standing but then he will sit down. Like he's carrying too much weight right now. Probably weighs all of 3 ounces. I know you have had Runners before so... I have Pekins, I think the others are 2 Cayuga and 2 Rouens, but what do I know. Will the Runner be okay being the only Runner in my group? Right now I can't put them in with my Pekins. I have a very aggressive drake and my brooders are real "B... s" while brooding. Trying to figure out something on housing. I thought I had it all covered with my set up... complete with maternity wards so the girls could brood in peace and quiet but I don't have another way to add a division in the pens or another pen to the run. I have the pens

split in 6 sections now. I don't know where I could add another. I would start all over if I could afford it but with the price of fencing, kennels and fencing there's no way. I hope they all get along when the little ones are bigger. It doesn't take long for them to grow.

If you don’t know sexes? if the runner is female she may have a problem if you have drakes especially heavy breeds. They are light weight and the drakes will be much heavier. Of course eventually depending on your ratio you may have to separate your drakes from the females to protect them. That is what you’ll need to wait and see. Many here have to keep drakes separate from their females during the worst of breeding season. They are young now so don’t worry enjoy!!

Last edited:
If you don’t know sexes? if the runner is female she may have a problem if you have drakes especially heavy breeds. They are light weight and the drakes will be much heavier. Of course eventually depending on your ratio you may have to separate your drakes from the females to protect them. That is what you’ll need to wait and see. Many here have to keep drakes separate from their females during the worst of breeding season.
I don't know the sexes. I had 2 drakes, I lost one, the most aggressive. After he was gone the other drake became very aggressive to the females. They are scared of him except for 2 that he doesn't seem to bother. I have them separated and all has been going well but I have never had anything except Pekins. That was what I was looking for this time but they didn't have any. DH has no patience and instead of waiting for 2 Pekins, he ran and brought these home. They are small enough now and I am keeping them in the house. It just warmed up enough to let them get outside and get some exercise the past couple of days. I noticed today that they have gotten old enough that I can smell them now so they are going to have to go out soon. I had a neighbor who had ducks and I let them use my pond, before I had any ducks. She got 2 dark colored ducks and her Pekins wouldn't have anything to do with them. It was odd watching them stay away from each other. When these get old enough I sure hope they get along with the Pekins but I have to keep them apart for a while because of age and size difference but they do grow so fast.

You already have the experience so you'll figure it out.
Boy they sure do grow fast.
Keep us updated on what you have as far as sex and how they all get along. My Runners and Buffs don't have a problem with color but that may be because they were hatched together. Blk.& Blue Runners. Buffs are light tan the only one I see they have a problem with is my Fawn and White Runner. She came from a hatchery and was added 3 yrs after these hatched. They just pretty much ignore her. She doesn't seem to mind though just follows them around.

Back
Top Bottom