Another brooder heat source?

wilobrookfarms

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 23, 2011
Ok, so bear with me here..lol

I have eggs hatching on the 4th, and we leave (in our motorhome) for a two week vacation to Florida on the 7th..
I really want to bring the chicks and brooder with us on vacation, (I don't trust anyone else with my new babies!!) Any idea's on how to keep the chicks warm while we are on the road? Once we stop for the night, we can run the onboard generator and have a brooder lamp etc. And of course, once we get to the RV park, we will have all the neccessities. We will probably drive 10 hours or so, before stopping for the night, and should arrive at our RV park late on the 2nd day.

Our motorhome is basically a house on wheels, lol, but i don't think the outlets etc. work while we are driving, our fridge runs off propane at that time. Any idea's?

What about those hand held heating pads you take to football games? or a small propage gas heater for camping? I am not sure if that would be warm enough but I would think along those lines..

What about those hand held heating pads you take to football games? or a small propage gas heater for camping? I am not sure if that would be warm enough but I would think along those lines..

I was thinking along those lines. I'm just not sure how long they will stay warm. We can run the generator while stopping to eat and when we stop at rest area;s, so I was thinking hot water bottles, or those things you put in the microwave and heat up for your neck? (I could rewarm in the microwave when we stop)

And just so no one thinks I'm totally crazy, I'm hatching out Serama and Silkie chicks, and if everyone hatches will only have a small group of bantams. This is my first hatch, and I want the whole experience!

You can use 12-volt DC power. Maybe you can use a 12-volt light to keep the chicks warm. When you are in the RV park you can use AC power for a light or heating pad or whatever you decide to use.

OK I have a Brinsea Eco-Glow 20 brooder and a Brinsea Mini adv incubator.They both run on 12vdc and and use the same exact( power converter same part # that plugs into reg 110ac outlet) with that being true .Go to Brinsea site and under the accessories heading go to page 3 run down page a little ways and you will come upon a Mini incubator cigarette lighter adapter Part# 25.45 price 16.99.Every camper I have owned have 12VDC cig /acc female plug near TV stuff.That should work .Double check with Brinsea to be sure it will work.Good excuse to get a small low power usage brooder.For home or on road or Emergency. That's what I had planed if I get in your situation. Check to make sure that your camper has inverter, if it does it converts 12vdc Battery to 110ac .If it does you could just plug the Eco -Glow in without the adapter and for sure when you get to park....cva34

Back
Top Bottom