Another Chicken Predator?

Curlymg

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 21, 2012
Rio Rico, Arizona
About a week ago, someone let my rooster out so he spent the night outside the coop. Early in the morning that day, just as the sun was coming up, I heard sounds of panic from the chickens. I ran out, and there was only a couple of feathers left behind but he was completely gone. Anyways, I was convinced it was a coyote. My neighbors said they'd be back since they know there's food here, so I reinforced the fencing in their run just incase. It's been quiet up until this morning, I heard panicking again and ran out side and to my horror I saw the fence of one side of the run completely pulled up from the ground and there were 2 hens missing, the other 2 got out and ran to safety. This time, there was no feathers left behind and I didn't see what animal did this! I got my 2 hens and put them in a large dog kennel and placed it in my front porch, right by the door. At about 9pm today, i'm heading out to go buy a snack and there were 4 javalinas in the run (who got stuck and couldn't find a way to run away) and 5 outside that went running. Could javalinas have done this?! It would make sense, since they dig/can easily pull fence up but will they go out of their way to kill a chicken and leave nothing behind? How can I make them stay away? My little flock was my first, and I raised them from chicks so i'm devastated. I'm rehoming the last 2 hens, but I want to start over sometime if there's a way to keep predators like this away.

are you allowed to shoot them where you live? Maybe they are hungry enough to eat whatever they can find. Of course now they know chickens are very tasty.

Well, they came back at around 9pm again, I had no idea Javelinas would do this either. I'll call the sheriff's office in the morning to see what i can do, and post what they tell me.
Anyways, what kind of fence should I get for my run? I was told 14-gauge welded wire, partially buried and secured will keep the javelinas out.

Wow, I never would have imagined javalina's as a predator for chickens. The only time I see them is around Halloween when
they come out of the mountains or desert and snack on all the pumpkins that are on display. I am sorry for your losses.

Back
Top Bottom