Another duckling can’t walk post w/ video

Facada

In the Brooder
Apr 28, 2023
Quick video of duckling

I’ve been looking and have found answers for other issues, but this behavior is a bit different than what my others have experienced and corrected.

Silver Appleyard duckling, 2 1/2 weeks old, not walking, but pushing along on her belly. It doesn’t seem like splayed leg (we just helped a gosling with it using bands and this seems different).

She is also always slightly flapping her wings, and seems to use them to help move around.

We discovered the entire waddle wasn’t getting enough niacin (thanks Dumor) and have since added brewer’s yeast to their feed, and both chick quick and additional niacin drops to their water. We also give any of the ducklings or goslings that are struggling the niacin drops directly to make sure they’re getting it.

So far this has worked with the others, but this one chick isn’t having a good time.

Any ideas? Is this still just likely niacin? Is there anything else we should be trying or looking for?

Much thanks, the poor baby is struggling.

Quick video of duckling

I’ve been looking and have found answers for other issues, but this behavior is a bit different than what my others have experienced and corrected.

Silver Appleyard duckling, 2 1/2 weeks old, not walking, but pushing along on her belly. It doesn’t seem like splayed leg (we just helped a gosling with it using bands and this seems different).

She is also always slightly flapping her wings, and seems to use them to help move around.

We discovered the entire waddle wasn’t getting enough niacin (thanks Dumor) and have since added brewer’s yeast to their feed, and both chick quick and additional niacin drops to their water. We also give any of the ducklings or goslings that are struggling the niacin drops directly to make sure they’re getting it.

So far this has worked with the others, but this one chick isn’t having a good time.

Any ideas? Is this still just likely niacin? Is there anything else we should be trying or looking for?

Much thanks, the poor baby is struggling.
My best guess if this duckling was initially walking, is that it is still not getting enough niacin. Some ducks just need more than others.

Please check the labels and confirm that the brewer's yeast you are using as a supplement contains niacin.

I am not familiar with the liquid preparations that you are using. I think you should get hold of durvet high level vit B Complex for this duckling. Soak 1 ml into a treat or a few crumbles, and watch the duck eat it every day.

Do give the little one supervised swim time every day so that it uses its legs to swim (hydrotherapy) but be sure to dry it off after its swim so it doesn't get chilled

My best guess if this duckling was initially walking, is that it is still not getting enough niacin. Some ducks just need more than others.

Please check the labels and confirm that the brewer's yeast you are using as a supplement contains niacin.

I am not familiar with the liquid preparations that you are using. I think you should get hold of durvet high level vit B Complex for this duckling. Soak 1 ml into a treat or a few crumbles, and watch the duck eat it every day.

Do give the little one supervised swim time every day so that it uses its legs to swim (hydrotherapy) but be sure to dry it off after its swim so it doesn't get chilled
Durvet shows as injectable. Is that what you’re suggesting for them to take orally? Or is there a different type?

Also, for clarification the oral drops I’ve been using are ‘HoneyCombs B3 Niacin’

0.8ml contains Niacin 80mg NE. It’s on Amazon by searching the ASIN: B0001ITUSY if that helps identify it.

I’m not opposed to getting something else like Durvet as long as I know I’m getting the right stuff.

Back
Top Bottom