Another Egg Bound Hen.

If you give lots of fluids orally it will make handling her risky do to the risk of her aspirating the fluid in her crop. I really think she needs to be seen by a vet.

People do bathe their egg bound birds, but it will require you to hold her while she's in the tube or she will just jump out. I prefer the steam method because it's easier for me and less stressful. Bathing is usually done for 20 minutes several times a day.

-Kathy

If you give lots of fluids orally it will make handling her risky do to the risk of her aspirating the fluid in her crop. I really think she needs to be seen by a vet.

People do bathe their egg bound birds, but it will require you to hold her while she's in the tube or she will just jump out. I prefer the steam method because it's easier for me and less stressful. Bathing is usually done for 20 minutes several times a day.

-Kathy

I will not be able to visit the vet until tomorrow, so hoping she will be alive by that time, she isn't moving now, if i put her in the tub she will not jump i guess.

Can someone explain the difference between a hen that is paralyzed from an egg and can't move vs one that is stressed, weak, whatever and can't move? I would bathe the one paralyzed from being egg bound, but I think the other can mean they are in shock? Someone with better writing skills probably can probably say what I 'm trying to say way better.

-Kathy

Last edited:
When you did the vent check and felt the egg were you able to get any lube into the vent? When I did mine I took a pipette of olive oil along to lube the finger of the glove and when I located the egg I get the the tip if the pipetted in and squeezed out olive oil until I saw it dripping out. I then tried to use my finger to spread it around the egg a little. My pipette was a very thin soft flimsy plastic one, so as not to cause her any damage. My girl's vent was never that red that I saw, I would be worried it is starting to prolapse. @KsKingBee has seen a prolapsed vent, so he maybe able to let you know if that is what is happening.

When I had to deal with a prolapse chicken I soaked her every few hours in very warm water. That was as much for me as the hen as her butt was a terrible nasty mess of poo and blood soaked feathers. After getting her cleaned up and feathers trimmed away I tried to lube her around the vent the best I could, but the egg was not in sight although the entire egg was hanging out still in the egg tract. I used copious amounts of Neosporin and eventually could see the egg. I worked the skin back until I could see about twenty percent of the egg, but the skin was really stuck to it. So I decided that I had to use a razor blade and make an incision.

I cut a slit about an inch or so long and the egg was released. All I could do then was glob more Neosporin on the wound and stuff it all back inside. The hen lived another year or more and layed many more eggs.

Q8 should be able to feel around the outside of the swollen area and feel the egg behind it. I would start with a LOT of lube and smear it into the vent the best he can, then start soaking her in a tub of warm water.

Can someone explain the difference between a hen that is paralyzed from an egg and can't move vs one that is stressed, weak, whatever and can't move? I would bathe the one paralyzed from being egg bound, but I think the other can mean they are in shock? Someone with better writing skills probably can probably say what I 'm trying to say way better.

-Kathy

I understand, and i'm 99% sure its egg bound, saw them mating two weeks ago and the other hen in this pen started laying this week, also i'm sure i felt the egg yesterday, but I can't check her vent now, she seems to get hurt when i try to enter my finger.

Back
Top Bottom