another question about my new rooster I’m obsessed with now

Duckduckgoosie

Songster
May 27, 2021
Austin, Texas
I have a small backyard flock of 5 hens and 2 young pullets. Last week I adopted my elderly neighbor’s last four birds- she had three hens and a rooster, all bantam cochins. Plan was to take just her hens but Mr Fancy Pants is so beautiful and according to her a good rooster to his girls, so I couldn’t bear to leave him and took all 4 home with me. We then rehomed our original rooster as the little rooster felt like a better match for us (small, I can easily put him up in our house at night and keep him inside until a more decent crow hour for our neighbors, and did I mention so handsome!). He and his 3 girls are about 3 years old and very bonded. He keeps them close when out in the yard and will tell my original girls to back off of they get too close. My original girls, all 7, are standard size. The 5 hens hang out together and the 2 pullets stick to each other, so everyone has a friend. The pullets are getting hassled less by the 5 older girls since the bantam flock came on the scene.

I’m curious whether over time the little rooster will adopt the whole flock or just stick with his original three? I hear bantam cochins are broody and it would be fun to hatch something but they aren’t great layers. I’d be so curious to see what my tiny rooster plus my barred rock girls could make, for example.

Anyway, thoughts? I think my girls feel a bit lost without their previous rooster but neither boy was keen on sharing, I was worried about injuries and crowing competitions, and we had a great farm to send our original rooster to.

Pic of Mr Fancy Pants.

Attachments

• AAE1EFA3-8FF2-410F-B234-D0B796A4E277.jpeg
    AAE1EFA3-8FF2-410F-B234-D0B796A4E277.jpeg
    952 KB · Views: 52
I have a small backyard flock of 5 hens and 2 young pullets. Last week I adopted my elderly neighbor’s last four birds- she had three hens and a rooster, all bantam cochins. Plan was to take just her hens but Mr Fancy Pants is so beautiful and according to her a good rooster to his girls, so I couldn’t bear to leave him and took all 4 home with me. We then rehomed our original rooster as the little rooster felt like a better match for us (small, I can easily put him up in our house at night and keep him inside until a more decent crow hour for our neighbors, and did I mention so handsome!). He and his 3 girls are about 3 years old and very bonded. He keeps them close when out in the yard and will tell my original girls to back off of they get too close. My original girls, all 7, are standard size. The 5 hens hang out together and the 2 pullets stick to each other, so everyone has a friend. The pullets are getting hassled less by the 5 older girls since the bantam flock came on the scene.

I’m curious whether over time the little rooster will adopt the whole flock or just stick with his original three? I hear bantam cochins are broody and it would be fun to hatch something but they aren’t great layers. I’d be so curious to see what my tiny rooster plus my barred rock girls could make, for example.

Anyway, thoughts? I think my girls feel a bit lost without their previous rooster but neither boy was keen on sharing, I was worried about injuries and crowing competitions, and we had a great farm to send our original rooster to.

Pic of Mr Fancy Pants.
Mr. Fancy pants is very pretty. In my experience, the rooster will adopt the other hens, it just might take a few months.

Mr. Fancy pants is very pretty. In my experience, the rooster will adopt the other hens, it just might take a few months.
Thank you, I swear I can be patient.

I feel some guilt for my big girls. A chivken keeping friend thinks I was wrong to swap roosters so if everyone becomes acquainted I will feel better. She doesn’t care that original rooster went to chicken utopia with 18 girls all to himself 😊

Thank you, I swear I can be patient.

I feel some guilt for my big girls. A chivken keeping friend thinks I was wrong to swap roosters so if everyone becomes acquainted I will feel better. She doesn’t care that original rooster went to chicken utopia with 18 girls all to himself 😊
Everyone has a different situation. In your case, swapping roosters was probably a good call, as introducing new roosters that are both mature doesn't always work out very well.

They all will end up as a single flock (even the pullets)... eventually.

Swapping roosters IMO by far beats out cock fighting. There is no need for guilt in rearranging a flock to suit you best. Just enjoy what you have and no need to listen to that lady.

Once everyone starts laying, they will all become a single flock, has been my experience. As you cook with your eggs, keep an eye out for the bulls eye. Then you can set with confidence...but before you set a clutch of eggs, do have a plan for the cockerels.

Mrs K

There's nothing to feel guilty about with swapping. He needed a home, and the other male still has a home, and more girls than before, it sounds like.

The other gals will eventually warm up to him, and they'll eventually start to mingle more. But they still might have their cliques, it's nothing to worry about. Mine are all raised around each other and they still do this

Pic of Mr Fancy Pants.
I LOVE bantams! I have an even smaller flock of all bantams that includes a silkie! My silkie Peepsie wanted to be a mom so bad, I let her sit on eggs from my flock of 4 hens and one rooster. She hatched 6 babies last July and was the best mom ~ we kept two hens and one rooster because he is a silkie mix. Now I have two flocks! The silkie went back to her rooster and the three babies don't want to be with the other chickens! My coop has two floors, so for the winter I let them stay separate but I too am hoping everyone will become one flock as well. I have never had a regular sized rooster but my bantam roosters have all had such great personalities and have been so loving to both me and the hens. Rooster even chases away my golden retriever when he tries to get a taste of their food.

Good discussion on your part and what a find. He is a looker for sure. Now you have something to brag about.
Thank you! We have a local poultry show in a week and I entered him for fun- it’s a fundraiser for 4H. I’m bummed he has some peck marks on his comb right now from briefly meeting our old rooster but I expect to learn a lot from the experience.

Back
Top Bottom