Another raccoon disposed of (may be graphic)

crazy cat lady

Songster
11 Years
Nov 20, 2008
NW Illinois
Went out this morning to feed my animals, Was in the process of filling up a bucket with some turkey feed, turned round, took a couple of steps and saw him. I backed up and my SO was at the other end of the barn getting the ducks their feed. I;m pretty sure this coon was sick. Just sort of turned around and didn't even notice me or runaway. My SO had a pistol (9mm) and shot him and he fell in the barn cleaner trough. Waited to see where it would go or what it would do, went under the metal slab we have across to get over to the barn door that goes out to the goat area.
After getting all but my last 4 bunnies fed my SO tuned on the cleaner to move out and clean the trough where the poultry manure was pushed into and I waited and watched to see if the raccoon was dead. Not a body. so I finished getting the last 4 bunny dishes filled and turned around to take them into the rabbit room and there was this darn raccoon. I don't have a good aim so I gave the gun to my SO and he finished it off. Believe me drowning would have been a better way to go, but being as it wasn't in the live trap, it was killing him with the gun.
The baby goat, chickens, turkeys and rabbits are safe abd other than the raccoon, no lives were lost.

The way it was acting I'm pretty sure it was very sick.

Aww, poor sick little racccon. If you're right about it being sick, it was probably better to shoot it. It would just spread it's little racoon bugs to the other raccoons in the area. Was it walking funny? Like drunk?

Don't feel sorry!!! What a raccoon can do to your chickens and bunnies is more than graphic. I used to think they were really cute....not any more!! That just means one less to worry about!

Citrusdreams--Yes, it was walking like it was drunk. this number 7, but the first one to act like it had been out on an all night drinking spree. The other before they got trapped would run from you when you walked into the barn.

Oh well, he's no longer sick, he's Dead!!!

Juliawitt, I'm not sorry. These big buggers decimated all my duckslast year and killed over half of my RIR too. This year they got 3 more RIR.

Quote:
If I'm not mistaken, that was a sign of rabies. So please be careful and make sure your dogs are UTD on rabies.

We live out in the boonies, as everybody loves to tell us. So you expect some wild life to wonder around and check out what you might have that they want. So if we might lose 1 or MAYBE 2 we look at it this way " dumb bird should of been in the coop roosting" and go on and dispose of what might be left behind. We DON"T turn the other cheek when out of 2 pens (80 birds) 2 are all that is left in 1 night. Thats when we had a major problem. They (troop of raccoons) came up tore a hole into the pen and got chickens tore off heads, legs, wings and was leaving them there THEY were not eatting them to be eatting THEY were having fun. SO me and my neighbor set live traps. with in 15 mins of having them set we had some. Shot them in the traps thru them in the fire pit so the dogs wouldn't get them. And reset traps that was the routen for the next 4 hours. We weight them the smallest was 32lbs. Nasty little bandits. We have not had that kind of massicure since. They took 78 birds from us we took out a troop of 15. those numbers stick. But we still believe live and let live, But you mess with us you get the same.

Back
Top Bottom