Another spread of Newcastle’s

LuckyCluckyCA

Songster
Dec 13, 2018
Port of Los Angeles, CA
2A8758F0-D5AC-49A4-B66F-56F4A2E6D5A8.png

PHOENIX – Virulent Newcastle disease has been found in an Arizona chicken flock for the first time since the outbreak began last year in California.

It’s been found in Arizona near Flagstaff in a backyard flock of eight birds, and tests show the strain is part of the Southern California outbreak.

Arizona state veterinarian Peter Mundschenk said the Department of Agriculture is working to find the source and keep it contained.

“It’s pretty much been in backyard birds, but they’ve had a couple spillovers into the commercial flocks in the areas,” he said. “That’s what we’re trying to prevent by having the surveillance zone so we don’t get the spread of the disease like California’s had.”

Mundschenk said they will keep looking in a 1 kilometer area around where the disease was found to locate the source. One source could be a chicken keeper – someone trying to protect birds from quarantine in California – who brought them to Arizona, Mundschenk said....https://cronkitenews.azpbs.org/2019...czRgoPFBbFT7DtN2HYLNUeQkXxUk1in7ynw8JSWvkP_sc

This is happening 20 miles from me, The state vet is relying on people to do the right thing. We all know that is a flawed presumption though. I honestly do not know if I would comply if they move the boundaries to include my property. My birds are not sick, I do not bring in adult birds to the flock. Hopefully I do not have to find out.

Gary

https://www.facebook.com/groups/348877789075792/permalink/350179488945622/

I am posting a petition link on behalf of a fellow backyard chicken family. Their perfectly healthy flock was killed on Friday without showing ANY signs of illness....nor were they tested!!!! They were in the process of following government legal process to fight the kill order and simply remain under quarantine. They informed CDFA the test results would arrive today...Monday. Their response...arrive unannounced on Friday and kill her flock before the test results could support her case. This NEEDS TO CHANGE! While euthanizing infected birds is necessary...knowingly killing healthy birds is not. This can happen to ANYONE! Please take the time to read, sign and share!

This is happening 20 miles from me, The state vet is relying on people to do the right thing. We all know that is a flawed presumption though. I honestly do not know if I would comply if they move the boundaries to include my property. My birds are not sick, I do not bring in adult birds to the flock. Hopefully I do not have to find out.

Gary
Please read my post above!

Petition is useless the birds are culled. I am really curious how the state vet knows who has backyard chickens? How do they know where to go to cull birds?

I'm wondering if they're relying on helicopters or small planes - I know aircraft is often used to cite coding violations (such as building a housing unit or pool without permits).

Back
Top Bottom