Anti-Poultry Laws - An Ulterior Motive?

I think...

• Your just paranoid OldGuy43. There's no conflict of intrest there.

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • You may be right.

Votes: 21 77.8%
  • I have not opinion.

Votes: 1 3.7%

• Total voters
no problem joe, it's all good.
highfive.gif
I think i was speaking more from a viewpoint of the flock getting sick than the passing it to humans aspect. The city here tries to fit as many houses on a lot as possible so I was thinking of the closeness of the homes. (thank God we are in the county and not town)
BUT (just to throw it out there cause i am so ornery) it does depend on the culture... some people do eat squirrels, possums, and coons, some Chinese eat cat, some Koreans eat dog (some! i am not saying that everyone in that culture does and i know it is not a huge concern in the US). but disease can be passed from animal to animal by humans. AI is a good example of that. Sick chicken runs from yard to yard poops in neighbors yard. Neighbor walks through it and accidentally introduces it to his/her properly cooped chickens. Now those birds can potentially get sick.

Most of the people that are against people keeping chickens are people who don't have to worry about living paycheck to pay check. I think that if we start voting out all of these rich and spoiled people that are not in touch with the "little people" we all would have less issues with what we want to have in our back yard.
highfive.gif

I mean come on it's not like we want to keep a chcken farm in our backyard. Most of us have under 10 chickens or less, but there are no rules (at least where I live) on the number dogs or cats you can have. How about people who keep parrots, cockatiels, or other hookbills? My parents used to raise birds and at one time had over 300 at their home, and all they needed was a license to sell them. They never had any complaints and the neighbor that lived next door to them said he could hear the dogs next door to him then my parents aviaries.

So my point is that we need to educate the public, and make sure the people we vote into a seat of power are not someone that has no clue about the
"little people."
wee.gif

Most of the people that are against people keeping chickens are people who don't have to worry about living paycheck to pay check. I think that if we start voting out all of these rich and spoiled people that are not in touch with the "little people" we all would have less issues with what we want to have in our back yard.
highfive.gif

I mean come on it's not like we want to keep a chcken farm in our backyard. Most of us have under 10 chickens or less, but there are no rules (at least where I live) on the number dogs or cats you can have. How about people who keep parrots, cockatiels, or other hookbills? My parents used to raise birds and at one time had over 300 at their home, and all they needed was a license to sell them. They never had any complaints and the neighbor that lived next door to them said he could hear the dogs next door to him then my parents aviaries.

So my point is that we need to educate the public, and make sure the people we vote into a seat of power are not someone that has no clue about the
"little people."
wee.gif
I have to say that your experience is quite different than mine. Those I have encountered who are most friendly to backyard chickens (without personal experience) are more likely to be upscale and not someone who has scratched their way to the top and needing to "show" their position.

You are very lucky. Maybe it's just were we live. Your in Arizona and I'm in Florida. My aunt moved to Flagstaff and said that the people there were more friendly then in Florida. Maybe I should move there.

Mmmmm????
wink.png

highfive.gif

"little people."
wee.gif
Where we lived before here we were not allowed any chickens or poultry of any kind. As for dogs, cats, birds etc. we were allowed 4 pets total and everything except for fish counted as a pet.
Would of loved to vote someone like your talking about in but no one like that ever ran for anything there.
Chickens were not allowed for the plain and simple fact that it was thought that having chickens next door would lower property values. And we couldnt have that could we.

Quote: Let's see, "biosecurity"

In both city and urban areas mother nature can be a "biosecurity" risk

All of the following urban/city animals could be considered a "biosecurity" risk as they can transmit diseases that affect humans

Raccoons, coyotes, bats, feral cats and squirrels can carry rabies
Rats can carry bubonic plague
Mice can carry hanta virus
Pidgeons can carry various diseases

So I guess the municipalities must BAN or severely limit their populations

Our local township limited chickens to 10 per acre and no roosters but if you had them before the ordinance you can keep up the maximum that you had prior to it's passage (thank god because we had well over that amount) and we are still allowed a few roosters.

Our local township limited chickens to 10 per acre and no roosters but if you had them before the ordinance you can keep up the maximum that you had prior to it's passage (thank god because we had well over that amount) and we are still allowed a few roosters.
Yepper, it's all about bio-security for sure. Everyone knows that those nasty, loud roosters carry more diseases than hens.

In our area it's not money and power, it's the city dwellers with country homes that don't want the normal sounds of country living. After all it's tough on them waking up at 5 or 6 am "when the rooster crows".

But then most of them are also the ones who scream about shooting bambi or other game animals, but go to the local restraunt when they are in town and watch them order the largest steak on the menu. They want the comforts of the countryside but not the noise and smell.
Maybe it's not money in your area, but it's definitely the power. Without power (or authority, to be politically correct), you cannot tell a man what he can and cannot do on his own land (within reason, of course). Owning a handful of chickens is hardly a threat to the public. But the idea of telling others what to do appeals to some folks. It does not appeal to me. I'd rather live and let live.

Back
Top Bottom