Anti White Leghorn Bias?

I think its a personal choice. I personally like leghorns I think that they are a great breed of chicken to have I like white eggs. I like all the different colors of Leghorns
smile.png
I like white eggs and brown eggs, blue eggs. mauve eggs, green eggs, really dark dark chocolate eggs, olive eggs.

I agree! So many natural colors of eggs is like Easter every day-- without any messy dying!

Interesting, IowaHeritage!

A rosecomb on a Leghorn hen would be less likely to suffer frostbite; right?! That's great to know.

Rosecomb refers to the size and shape of the comb, not the color; correct? Are there other advantages to rose combs over regular combs?

Clare

True Clare, Rosecomb reflects shape only.

Other attributtes are the fact they dont get caught and scraped on everything and it helps flatten the brain which convinces me they have a higher I Q
tongue2.gif

I have Rosecomb Leghorns and Rhode Island Reds

I have a couple of exchequer leghorns. They were flighty (almost did not keep them) until they started laying and now they are mellow
love.gif
The leghorns and silkies are also the only hens laying, and neither stopped over winter.

38124_leg3.jpg

38124_leg7.jpg

I've had some white Leghorn hens and they were fine chickens. They were not high strung. But they were high energy. Their little motors were revved high all the time, but they were not neurotic. They were out there scratching for bugs and working hard all day. They never strolled anywhere, it was full speed ahead. But they were not fearful or hysterical. Just lively and sociable.

They lay well and they are a good choice for someone who wants a small chicken that lays a big egg. Lots of people want a bantam, but bantam eggs are tiny. Leghorns are small and lay huge eggs.

If you see leghorns bred by a serious poultry hobbyist, they are gorgeous birds. Nothing like the pathetic bedraggled commercial things raised in battery cages, which I suspect is what most people think a Leghorn is.

The colored leghorns are really pretty, but so is a well bred white leghorn.

Well... They are flighty and stand out well to hawks. Many people who have chickens as pets want friendly chickens that will follow them around the yard. And they lay white eggs, while brown eggs are a nice change and (I think) are prettier. Also many people want colorful chickens.

My leghorns all have very colorful personalities. I've had all brown eggs in the past and am looking forward to the possibility of white eggs in the future. However, with my leghorns being half EE, I may have green or light blue eggs in the future, and that will be fun as well!

Those Exchequer Leghorns are gorgeous!!!! I didn't know such a breed existed.

Everyone talks about leghorns being small. Mine are huge! Gosh! I hope they haven't gorged and overfed or something? I did read that they are fast to mature, so maybe that's all it is, or maybe they put on a lot of feathers for winter, but I would call them anything but small.

I have one Silver-Laced Sebright Bantam. Now, she is small. LOL.

If leghorns are flighty, maybe that explains why the hens run when my Buff Blue Columbian chases them? I thought it was just because they hadn't grown up with him around, and since he is new to them, they are a bit afraid of his intentions?? Come to think of it, the Bantie hen runs from him, too. LOL

White leghorns were the first chickens I had when I was 5. We had a roo and several hens. The roo was a little mean but most of the hens were pretty friendly because I would give them treats all the time. Leghorns got me hooked on chickens.
We have one leghorn in our mixed layer pen and this spring I will probably add a few more. Our leghorn, Blanca is the sweetest girl and hops up in your lap for her neck scratch every day. Dh has her spoiled rotten...not flighty at all.

Memories of the chickens we gerw up with are so precious. We had BOs and SSHs, for the most part. I don't recall any leghorns, so I am really enjoying getting to know this breed that is new to me.

My Blue Buff Columbian who is half white leghorn loves to have me rub under his neck. He'll sit there a long time and let me just rub and rub his neck. He is so darling! I had no idea chickens could have such sweet personalities. He reminds me quite a bit of a kitten. Playful like one, too.

Back
Top Bottom