White leghorns vs Brown leghorns. What’s the difference?

Sam peoples

In the Brooder
Aug 22, 2022
I have 2 brown leghorns and 1 white leghorn that will be laying soon. I’ve read all different things, like white leghorns doing so much better than brown leghorns when it comes to laying eggs. Then I hear stuff like brown leghorns and white leghorns are no different. I’m now curious, and wondered what people who have experienced both think, or what other people have read.

Attachments

• 897AB00A-9ED0-481D-BD52-AC6CC93D3B12.jpeg
    897AB00A-9ED0-481D-BD52-AC6CC93D3B12.jpeg
    728.7 KB · Views: 97
  • 5EB4107B-D19D-457D-8550-5DB542EADB9A.jpeg
    5EB4107B-D19D-457D-8550-5DB542EADB9A.jpeg
    698.1 KB · Views: 42
I have 2 brown leghorns and 1 white leghorn that will be laying soon. I’ve read all different things, like white leghorns doing so much better than brown leghorns when it comes to laying eggs. Then I hear stuff like brown leghorns and white leghorns are no different. I’m now curious, and wondered what people who have experienced both think, or what other people have read.

White leghorns are more prolific egg layers since they have been specifically bred for that regardless of color. But those are hatchery strains. The Show Quality birds lay as good as any other SQ colors

It depends exactly what whites you get. Yes some do lay a bit better because they had more intense breeding towards it.
If you just flip a coin on a hatchery and buy both odds are they'll be about the same. I've had browns that lay just as well and averaged larger eggs even.
Agree show stock of both varieties lay very disappointing numbers in comparison to hatchery stock.

Thank you everyone for all your info, I’ll try to get back to you all and let you know who lays first and who I think lays more often.

Came across this thread as I was trying to research my own Brown Leghorn – wondering if anyone could add some insight?

I have a Brown Leghorn (Martina) who laid her first egg 8/21/22 and then proceeded to lay four more eggs in that same week. Since then, she went the next 13 days, possibly without laying an egg at all.. but also possibly laying somewhere completely different? She had been laying in the coop, but then would perform her "egg song" and then we could never find any eggs. She then laid what is her most current egg (also in the coop) 6 days later.

Is this irregularity common in Brown Leghorns? She acts otherwise 100% normal and healthy, but wondering if there's any deficiency in her diet that I can help her with or if it's common for them to lay in multiple areas. Martina has laid all eggs in the coop in the same nesting box, as have all of my other ladies (in their preferred nesting box). It seems odd to me that she would choose to lay in multiple areas, particularly when it is potentially not in the coop.

Any help, thoughts, insights, etc., is greatly appreciated!
Thank you!!

Back
Top Bottom