Anti White Leghorn Bias?

Very interesting! How can you tell that Good Guy has barring?! I would never have guessed that. Look at his hackles and really on the red in his wing you can see it pretty good in the pic. My roo was pretty good size before I noticied it. White on white is hard to see.

So fun to find out white earlobes really do exist, and see them. None of my chicks have white earlobes, so I'm wondering if they are not white leghorn mix.

Do white rocks tend to lay well in winter in cold climes? My normal barred rocks stop in November and don't start until March. The fellow who said his roo was a leghorn says they lay in the winter for him, and he's in a colder area than I am? My rocks didn't do that but they are pullets. They just started right before fall hit. The quit for about two months or so and are starting back.

Could he be a 2d generation white leghorn, I wonder?

So do all chickens, roos and hens, have the white ear fuzz type stuff that I thought was an earmuff? Is the white/cream to the "ear fuzz" a breed clue? My barred rocks don't seem to have it?

I see what you mean! No wonder he has such a sweet nature, if he's part Barred Rock! Thanks for the good info!

Oh, I thought California Rocks were Barred Rocks, since they carry the barring, too. So you never refer to a California White Rock as a Barred Rock? Is that correct? Since the bars are invisble on them; is that it? And a White Rock and a California Rock are the same thing? I'm learning a lot!

Oh, I thought California Rocks were Barred Rocks, since they carry the barring, too. So you never refer to a California White Rock as a Barred Rock? Is that correct? Since the bars are invisble on them; is that it? And a White Rock and a California Rock are the same thing? I'm learning a lot!

White Rocks are just white plymouth rocks no barring genes. California Whites are a hybrid of a Leghorn crossed with a California Grey (they are barred) I see the confusion. Sorry I should have been clearer.

I LOVE MY 2 WHT LEGHORN HENS! Seriously, I do.

I had watched Food Inc. or some such, had already been thinking of getting some chickens since I had been placed at a church with a parsonage on 3 acres of land. All I was thinking about were those fresh clean eggs I remembered getting from my paw paw when I was a boy.

Did a little research and decided to build my own incubator for about $15 and order hatching eggs. As I was only interested in eggs and am frugal I went with some wht leghorns from a feed store in NJ advertising on ebay. They threw in 1 bonus brown 'mystery' egg on top of the 11 white leghorn eggs I received. When it was all said and done I had 2 white leghorn hens and a RIR roo.

They're now 2.25 years old and laying as good as ever. To boot the eggs I'm getting are HUGE Jumbo classification ranging from 2.5-3.5 oz. routinely right through winter. As they were our first chickens me and the kids spent a lot of time with them and they are among my most calm chickens with one in particular, Spongebob, who is the friendliest chicken I've ever been around.

Oh, I didn't know that White Plymouth Rocks have no barring gene. That is bizarre! Thanks for the info. So White Plymouth Rocks and California Rocks are totally different, then? I thought they were the same. And a California Grey is a type of Barred Rock? I've never heard of them before. Will have to look up a photo.

Oh, I didn't know that White Plymouth Rocks have no barring gene. That is bizarre! Thanks for the info. So White Plymouth Rocks and California Rocks are totally different, then? I thought they were the same. And a California Grey is a type of Barred Rock? I've never heard of them before. Will have to look up a photo.

There is no such thing as a "California Rock."
wink.png

The California Gray (aka Production Black) was bred from Barred Rocks and White Leghorns and they lay white eggs. They are a very different breed from Barred Rocks. Info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Gray

The California White is a hybrid of California Grey and White Leghorn.

The White Plymouth Rocks often do carry a barred gene, but you never see it because it's hidden by another color gene (I *think* it's the "dominant white" gene).

Didn't know that about White rocks....

Baby pics of EE x Leghorn

The dark one is a blue rock. Some have a tiny bit of black spots... we will see what that turns into.

Back
Top Bottom