Antibiotics for chickens - suggestions?

I keep Tylan-50 and Duramycin on hand. I'm not big on giving shots so I do the Tylan-50 orally (draw it up with and syringe and then remove the needle). But if none of yours are sick right now you might want to be careful as these meds have expiration dates on them. I personally like to have a printout of meds/treatments and dosages for when an emergency arises so I don't have to try to look up anything or remember it.

Antibiotics expire-I would wait till you need them. The most important thing with a sick bird is to get it in the house away from your other birds. Then you need to keep it warm. I used to volunteer at a wildlife rehab & the first thing they always did was get the bird on a heating pad, no matter what kind of bird or what was wrong with it. They said birds spend a large portion of their energy just maintaining body heat.

Hi all, I do agree about poultry vitamins, and electrolytes. A good healthy chicken can fight off illness quicker, I have to mention what I have used for deep injuries on my chickens not having easy access to vets they are all far away from wear I live I used my own research. I buy Manuka Honey UMF(R)16+. I can pack a deep injury or use it topical but only with birds I have in hospital care separate from pen as honey could draw insects. I have had amazing results it is a natural fighter of bacteria and helps promote healing of the tissues. I use it on my self my dogs and chickens with great results.. just had to post as I love my chickens and I know so many of us do I sleep better knowing that this will fight infection on y hurt birds..

http://manukahoneyusa.com/product/manuka-honey-umf16-8-8oz250g/

just got back from the vets.  She isn't sure what is wrong with her.  She said everything as far as crop lungs heart feathers etc all look good. She said she is obviously very sick with the lack of balance and the pale comb and isn't sure she will pull through, but she sent out the stool sample and gave me both an anti-inflammatory and a broad spectrum antibiotic called clavamox.  I think that is something like augmentin is for people med. from looking at its compound of amoxicillin trihydrate and clavulanate potassium.  She said another thing they tend to see with chickens that are allowed to free range is lead poisoning.  She said she could check for lead, but the test is like 70 dollars and treatment would be very expensive because she would have to get injections every two days etc.  She said just one chicken could have eaten a piece of metal and that is why the others aren't affected. Because she hasn't really been out much lately and there isn't really any older homes that have lead paint around, I am doubtful that is the reason and really don't want to go overboard with cost.  I opted for the broad spectrum antibiotic and anti-inflammatory for now because I am more concerned about getting her better and preventing my other girls from getting sick if what she has is contagious, so that is what we did.  She said she would have the stool results in a couple of days and if she survives and the treatment we are giving her helps, we will stay on it, but if she needs a different medication she can change it at that time again if she survives.  The vet wasn't very optimistic she would make it though.  I on the other hand am holding onto hope that the dose she got in the office will make her a little better and I will know tomorrow morning.  She showed me how to give it so I can give it to her 2x a day. the antibiotic is a pill that I put down her throat and the anti-inflammatory is a very small amount of liquid, 0.25 mls. that I put to the side and down her throat.  I'm to continue everything else that I am already doing such as keeping her inside and feeding her fresh water with electrolytes and fresh feed with grit handy.  she is too young for eggs right now, but if she should start, I can't eat the eggs for 6 weeks after the medication is done.  With the condition she is in, I just hope she survives, never mind laying eggs though.  I'll let you know the results tomorrow, good or bad.
Thanks for your help.
gail

So what ever happened with her @troub

casportpony, you're correct, but I must use what I have on hand as I'm on a limited pension. You can go to the Tractor Supply Store and get injectable Tylan 50. Use 1/4 - 1/2cc injected into your chicken a couple of times a day.
My vet told me that he'd use penicillin on my chicken, too. The tabs got her over her first illness...peritonitis; but may have caused thrush, not sure. After researching I think she had terminal cancer. She died yesterday after a tough battle with sickness. She really wanted to live.
Amoxicillin is what I normally use...easier to get absorbed into it's system. Amoxicillin and penicillin are two I always keep in my chicken 1st aid kit. Good luck.

casportpony, you're correct, but I must use what I have on hand as I'm on a limited pension. You can go to the Tractor Supply Store and get injectable Tylan 50. Use 1/4 - 1/2cc injected into your chicken a couple of times a day.
My vet told me that he'd use penicillin on my chicken, too. The tabs got her over her first illness...peritonitis; but may have caused thrush, not sure. After researching I think she had terminal cancer. She died yesterday after a tough battle with sickness. She really wanted to live.
Amoxicillin is what I normally use...easier to get absorbed into it's system. Amoxicillin and penicillin are two I always keep in my chicken 1st aid kit. Good luck.
Sorry for your loss. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom