Antibiotics for chickens - suggestions?

Now that tetracycline powder is difficult to purchase. I'm wondering if injectable oxytet could be used in drinking water for 4 mth old pullets

Now that tetracycline powder is difficult to purchase. I'm wondering if injectable oxytet could be used in drinking water for 4 mth old pullets

How is Tetracycline powder difficult to purchase? Just curious what you mean by that? I just bought some from a pet store (fish antibiotic) to give to my chickens, before I was told that it likely would not work. (I've heard about these other antibiotics becoming unavailable due to new laws.)
The chicks are all doing well by the way, but I would prefer to owe their great condition to God answering prayer than some fish antibiotics I was told don't really work that well.

How is Tetracycline powder difficult to purchase? Just curious what you mean by that? I just bought some from a pet store (fish antibiotic) to give to my chickens, before I was told that it likely would not work. (I've heard about these other antibiotics becoming unavailable due to new laws.)
The chicks are all doing well by the way, but I would prefer to owe their great condition to God answering prayer than some fish antibiotics I was told don't really work that well.
We used to be ably to go to the feed store and buy oxytetracycline powder or tetracycline powder for ~$6 and that bag would make 12.5 gallons with 800 mg. Now if we want to buy it we have to find it on ebay and pay $25 for it (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Oxytetracyc...959204?hash=item2387b9d8e4:g:xSsAAOSw7GRZG7Zx), or buy the fish products, which are very expensive.

Tetracycline is not very effective in treating many bacteria, so sounds like you got lucky and it worked for whatever you had in your flock.

Glad your chickens got better.

As of Jan. 1, 2017 law requires a prescription for it. As such, none if our feed stores carry it anymore. From what I understand any antibiotic administered orally or on feed is covered under that law.
Tetracycline works great for blue comb and mycoplasms.

Even though they are not antibiotics, electrolytes, electrolytes, electrolytes!!! Theses help so much and being in the veterinary field and owning chickens, ducks, and guineas, they help so much! The best anitbiotic for poultry is baytril, only avaliable through veterinarians, but any vet should be able to give you some if and when you have an emergency, it is great for almost anything! Be careful about giving "cattle" products to animals it is not labled for, there is a reason for this and if not careful you can kill your chicken or hurt it more than do good for it. VetRX is also a good product to have on hand, availiable at Tractor supply. Hope this helped a little
smile.png
re: Baytril: very sadly, this drug is illegal for chickens in the USA.
An avian vet I visited agreed that this is a wonderful drug for many conditions and he is not happy with this law, but nevertheless, it is illegal.

re: Baytril: very sadly, this drug is illegal for chickens in the USA.
An avian vet I visited agreed that this is a wonderful drug for many conditions and he is not happy with this law, but nevertheless, it is illegal.
Welcome to BYC!

It and all the others in this class of antibiotics are banned, but they are easy to get without a prescription, and many vets still prescribe it for poultry.

• Baytril is a great antibiotic, but it is banned for use in food animals. Even though it's banned, I still use it and I also use metronidazole (Flagyl), which is also banned.
  • If one knows where to look, both can be purchased in the US without a prescription *very* easily.
Hoping you can help. Can't figure PM. I have been searching for these. Email is [email protected] - I would be so grateful for your help.

Back
Top Bottom