Ants in coop

I put DE in my coop also, and it is not working HELP. Where can I find Basic H?

Basic H is a Shaklee Product so if you google that you should easily find someone I your area who distributes it. My dad is a distributor and it's also great on laundry stains and very safe. It tastes terrible but he used to drink it to demonstrate that it is non toxic.

DE has its uses, but ant repellent isn't one of them.

Toss a couple handfuls of Borax (20 mule team laundry type) in the coop and mix among the bedding. Its non-toxic, ants eat it, and it kills the colony when the workers bring it back to the nest. Plus, its only a few bucks.

Is there any lawn ant killer that is safe for free range chickens? My yard is CRAZY with ants every single summer and it doesn't look like this one is going to be any different. :/

De works really good as long as it dosn't get wet. Incidently as soon as I put out the DE this morning we had a light rain. And it hasn't rained for months:(
idunno.gif

I had hundreds and hundreds of Florida carpenter ants living under my coop, and they were biting me every time I came up to the coop. I never saw evidence of them biting the chickens, but I'm not sure if they were or not. I finally broke down and sprayed them with Insectricide. I had to spray it directly on the ants twice before it killed them. Then I hosed the area down several times to wash it away. One of my chickens was poking around in it before I got it completely hosed off. Her eye swelled up, but the swelling started to go down the next day and was completely gone after 4-5 days. Now I can pet my babies without getting bitten!
smile.png

I hear ya Grouseru! I had to drop my bag of chic feed and run. They took over the area where I had some hay and they were all over my leg. That's when I got the DE out. Just went out there and I didn't see them again. Ants will make you crazy!

Back
Top Bottom